Please keep things on-list if possible, so that more people are available to help.
On 30 Apr 2011, at 01:03, Ira Ray Jenkins wrote:

I have yet to successfully build xapian and the python bindings
on my mac OSx 10.6; however, in the process of trying to track down
the problem I came across a website that suggested I actually see what
arch everything is being built for...

Looking at my python installation:
file `which python`
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python: Mach-O
universal binary with 2 architectures
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python (for
architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python (for
architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

Then looking at _xapian.so:
file /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/xapian/_xapian.so
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/xapian/_xapian.so:
Mach-O 64-bit bundle x86_64

This seems interesting in that which I configured both xapian core and
xapian bindings, I used:
./configure CXX="g++ -m32"

Am I missing an option, because it looks to be disregarding it and
coming out as 64 bit.

I think there's a -arch which will do the job better; I think someone else on list (possibly Richard) can remember this more reliably than I seem to be able to :-(

James Aylett
talktorex.co.uk - xapian.org - devfort.com - spacelog.org

Search Discussions

  • Ira Ray Jenkins at May 1, 2011 at 3:54 am
    I compiled both core and bindings with -arch i386 and it worked
    properly. The INSTALL file should possibly be modified to reflect
    this?

    I think -arch is specific to Darwin, while i386 and x86_64 systems use
    -m32/64...

    I am not an expert, but maybe someone can provide a better perspective...

    Thanks for all the help,

    Ira Ray Jenkins
[...]

groupxapian-discuss @
categoriesxapian
postedApr 30, '11 at 8:32p
activeMay 1, '11 at 3:54a
websitexapian.org
irc#xapian

2 users in discussion

Ira Ray Jenkins: 1 post James Aylett: 1 post