PHP4's "end of life" is 2007-12-31, though there may be "critical
security fixes" until 2008-08-08:

http://www.php.net/archive/2007.php#2007-07-13-1

We're currently tentatively looking at releasing Xapian 1.1.0 in March
2008, so I'm proposing we drop PHP4 support at that point. My feeling
is that anyone wanting to cling on to PHP4 at that point is unlikely to
want to rapidly switch to a new Xapian release series anyway, so they'd
be happy staying with Xapian 1.0.x until they are ready to upgrade to
PHP5.

I think this is the right move because it allows us to improve PHP5
support without the PHP4 support getting in the way. We can provide
better support for PHP5, and the evidence I have is that PHP5 is already
more popular with Xapian users.

I checked a few popular Linux distros, and all have dropped PHP4
support. Ubuntu dropped it in feisty (April 2007), Debian have dropped
it in unstable and testing, Fedora dropped it in FC4 (July 2005!)

So that's the plan, unless anyone has a convincing argument why this is
a bad idea (or is willing to volunteer to maintain our PHP4 support).

Cheers,
Olly

Search Discussions

  • James Aylett at Nov 29, 2007 at 10:54 am

    We're currently tentatively looking at releasing Xapian 1.1.0 in March
    2008, so I'm proposing we drop PHP4 support at that point.
    +1

    James Aylett xapian.org
    james@tartarus.org uncertaintydivision.org
  • Yannick Warnier at Dec 2, 2007 at 1:11 am

    Le mercredi 28 novembre 2007 ? 20:55 +0000, Olly Betts a ?crit :

    We're currently tentatively looking at releasing Xapian 1.1.0 in March
    2008, so I'm proposing we drop PHP4 support at that point.
    +1

    Yannick

groupxapian-discuss @
categoriesxapian