Has anyone made a Ruby Gem package of Xapian? I recently built a Ruby
on Rails project and was able to drop in the Ferret Gem (a port of
Lucene) and the acts_as_ferret Gem, and searching was easily handled
in my Rails application. But I've been working with Xapian in PHP for
a few years now, and I'd love to use it in my Rails application. It
might be nice to get some more Ruby attention for Xapian along the
way.

Has anyone tried to package Xapian as a Ruby Gem yet? I don't want to
reinvent the wheel, but if nobody has yet, it might be fun to try and
useful to others.

Search Discussions

  • James Aylett at Nov 14, 2007 at 11:04 pm

    Has anyone made a Ruby Gem package of Xapian? I recently built a Ruby
    on Rails project and was able to drop in the Ferret Gem (a port of
    Lucene) and the acts_as_ferret Gem, and searching was easily handled
    in my Rails application. But I've been working with Xapian in PHP for
    a few years now, and I'd love to use it in my Rails application. It
    might be nice to get some more Ruby attention for Xapian along the
    way.

    Has anyone tried to package Xapian as a Ruby Gem yet? I don't want to
    reinvent the wheel, but if nobody has yet, it might be fun to try and
    useful to others.
    I'm not aware of it, but I'm starting to use Rails at work so I'd be
    interested in the idea. I don't have experience making gems, so I'm
    not sure how much help I could be (plus, as always, I'm terrifyingly
    busy). But I can at the least provide moral support, and perhaps at
    some point a user or two. (I might be able to persuade our development
    team to play with Xapian in future; they're using Ferret at the moment
    because it's so easy to drop in.)

    James Aylett xapian.org
    james@tartarus.org uncertaintydivision.org
  • Marcus Rueckert at Nov 15, 2007 at 1:08 pm

    Has anyone made a Ruby Gem package of Xapian? I recently built a Ruby
    on Rails project and was able to drop in the Ferret Gem (a port of
    Lucene) and the acts_as_ferret Gem, and searching was easily handled
    in my Rails application. But I've been working with Xapian in PHP for
    a few years now, and I'd love to use it in my Rails application. It
    might be nice to get some more Ruby attention for Xapian along the
    way.

    Has anyone tried to package Xapian as a Ruby Gem yet? I don't want to
    reinvent the wheel, but if nobody has yet, it might be fun to try and
    useful to others.
    1. it doesnt have to be a gem to be usable within rails.
    plain old way of installing ruby extensions works well.
    2. someone would need to write a acts_as_xapian to get the same
    integration with the rails framework

    you are looking more for part 2 right?

    darix

    --