hey together,

i am evaluating a couple full text solutions and just found my way to
xapian. i need to build a search for community users. currently i got
about 500.000 users and the search just stresses my normal RDBMS too
much. i just read the docu but it couldnot answer all of my questions.
it would be nice if someone could just tell me if xapian covers
everything i need.

needs:

-> wildcard search
-> different "fields" where i can search in, for example "firstname"
and "lastname", if i build a query i need to be able to search for a
word in "firstname" and another word in "lastname". those fields need
to be concated by AND
-> sorting after a certain field, in my case the date where the user
last updated his profile
-> search for numbers like zipcode (in field "zipcode" for example),
some engines dont support this
-> live index updates, if a user changes his profile i need to update
the index right away
-> utf8 handling
-> limiting the result to say 500 hits

thats it. thanks for your help!

greets,
stefan

Search Discussions

  • Olly Betts at Nov 7, 2007 at 4:58 pm

    -> different "fields" where i can search in, for example "firstname"
    and "lastname", if i build a query i need to be able to search for a
    word in "firstname" and another word in "lastname". those fields need
    to be concated by AND
    -> sorting after a certain field, in my case the date where the user
    last updated his profile
    -> search for numbers like zipcode (in field "zipcode" for example),
    some engines dont support this
    -> live index updates, if a user changes his profile i need to update
    the index right away
    -> utf8 handling
    -> limiting the result to say 500 hits
    Xapian can do all of these.

    The wildcard support in the QueryParser class currently only supports
    right truncation (i.e. foo*).

    Cheers,
    Olly

groupxapian-discuss @
categoriesxapian
postedNov 7, '07 at 3:21p
activeNov 7, '07 at 4:58p
websitexapian.org
irc#xapian

2 users in discussion

Olly Betts: 1 post Stefan Becker: 1 post