This is now in testing:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.discuss:6591

For those interested, the technology behind this is the indexer from
we:search with Xapian bolted on the back (we:search is Lars home-grown
search for Gmane). Since we:search is GPL, I'll make this available
once everything is sorted out.

On the search side, it's a slightly tweaked version of Omega with a thin
PHP wrapper.

The most useful Omega tweak is to allow the coloured backgrounds in
search highlighting - I'll fold this into CVS fairly soon:

http://rain.gmane.org/?query=xapian+gmane+search

The other tweaks are stuff like using "query" instead of "P" (so that
links to searches will continue to work). That's probably better
done in the PHP wrapper anyway.

Cheers,
Olly

Search Discussions

  • James Aylett at Oct 22, 2004 at 8:30 am

    The most useful Omega tweak is to allow the coloured backgrounds in
    search highlighting - I'll fold this into CVS fairly soon:

    http://rain.gmane.org/?query=xapian+gmane+search
    What does it do that $highlight{$field{SUMMARY},$terms,<span
    style='background-color: yellow;'>,</span>} can't? Does it handle
    stemming better?

    James Aylett xapian.org
    james@tartarus.org uncertaintydivision.org
  • Olly Betts at Oct 22, 2004 at 3:35 pm

    The most useful Omega tweak is to allow the coloured backgrounds in
    search highlighting - I'll fold this into CVS fairly soon:

    http://rain.gmane.org/?query=xapian+gmane+search
    What does it do that $highlight{$field{SUMMARY},$terms,<span
    style='background-color: yellow;'>,</span>} can't?
    It uses a different colour background for each word from the query
    (well, for the first 6, then it cycles).

    Cheers,
    Olly
  • James Aylett at Oct 22, 2004 at 3:49 pm

    The most useful Omega tweak is to allow the coloured backgrounds in
    search highlighting - I'll fold this into CVS fairly soon:

    http://rain.gmane.org/?query=xapian+gmane+search
    What does it do that $highlight{$field{SUMMARY},$terms,<span
    style='background-color: yellow;'>,</span>} can't?
    It uses a different colour background for each word from the query
    (well, for the first 6, then it cycles).
    Oh, I see. Cute :-)

    James Aylett xapian.org
    james@tartarus.org uncertaintydivision.org

groupxapian-discuss @
categoriesxapian
postedOct 21, '04 at 11:57p
activeOct 22, '04 at 3:49p
websitexapian.org
irc#xapian

2 users in discussion

Olly Betts: 2 posts James Aylett: 2 posts