Our software uses Velocity, as it is bundled inside the Apache Click library. This software was written years ago by someone else--I maintain it now.

We've discovered that the VelocityEngine throws Exceptions whenever it encounters HTML5 tags, like <canvas> or <video> , inside a VM template.

So we need to upgrade our Velocity version (to allow HTML5 tags).

Which versions of the Velocity library can handle HTML5 tags (no Exceptions)? I need version numbers here.

Which versions of Click contain a version of Velocity which can handle HTML5 tags?

I have already tried and elimiated Click2.3, it does not.

Search Discussions

  • Nathan Bubna at Feb 6, 2013 at 4:57 pm
    All versions of Velocity support all versions of HTML, and every other
    text format out there.

    Velocity is a general purpose template engine for processing any and
    all text content. It neither knows nor cares what HTML tags you have
    in your templates. Perhaps Click is throwing exceptions about HTML5
    tags, though i doubt that too. Perhaps you could share one of these
    exceptions you are getting?
    Our software uses Velocity, as it is bundled inside the Apache Click library. This software was written years ago by someone else--I maintain it now.

    We've discovered that the VelocityEngine throws Exceptions whenever it encounters HTML5 tags, like <canvas> or <video> , inside a VM template.

    So we need to upgrade our Velocity version (to allow HTML5 tags).

    Which versions of the Velocity library can handle HTML5 tags (no Exceptions)? I need version numbers here.

    Which versions of Click contain a version of Velocity which can handle HTML5 tags?

    I have already tried and elimiated Click2.3, it does not.
  • Brad Sisk at Feb 6, 2013 at 5:03 pm
    Thanks for answering, Nathan.

    I am sure you Think Velocity supports HTML5 tags. But have you every actually tested that?

    In fact, older versions of Velocity do not. I Have tested.

    Velocity throws a Velocity exception: "the <canvas> tag is not recognized" or "<video> is not recognized".

    This occurs when you set the HTML doctype for HTML5 and add nothing else but a canvas or a video tag.

    In a previously working VM template.

    However, the same HTML renders fine in any browser.
[...]

  • Nathan Bubna at Feb 6, 2013 at 5:43 pm
    Good grief. Search the codebase. Nowhere in it will you find those
    "Velocity exception" messages.
[...]

  • Will Glass-Husain at Feb 6, 2013 at 7:58 pm
    My guess is that there is a different library in your code base which is
    using Velocity that is interpreting the HTML.

    Velocity is almost completely agnostic about the content of the file it is
    processing. (There's a few issues around escaping identifiers which start
    with $ or #).

    Could it be Click? (I'm not familiar enough with it to comment).

    WILL
[...]

  • Brad Sisk at Feb 6, 2013 at 8:11 pm
    "My guess is that there is a different library in your code base which is
    using Velocity that is interpreting the HTML.":

    you are correct, sir ---- note that in my Post, I wrote: "we use click which has the Velocity library bundled within it". It is velocity bundled inside Click, unfortunately.

    Once again, I didnt write this piece. I just maintain it.

    On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Brad Sisk <sisk@prime-research.com>
    Our software uses Velocity, as it is bundled inside the Apache Click
    library. This software was written years ago by someone else--I maintain it
    now.
    We've discovered that the VelocityEngine throws Exceptions whenever it
    encounters HTML5 tags, like <canvas> or <video> , inside a VM template.
    So we need to upgrade our Velocity version (to allow HTML5 tags).

    Which versions of the Velocity library can handle HTML5 tags (no
    Exceptions)? I need version numbers here.

    Which versions of Click contain a version of Velocity which can handle
    HTML5 tags?

    I have already tried and elimiated Click2.3, it does not.
  • Brad Sisk at Feb 7, 2013 at 1:40 pm
    Thanks.