Everything was ok last week, I just restarted Tomcat today and got this
errror message,

java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

Tomcat 5.5.14
Apache 2.2
Fedore Core 5
jdk1.5.0_08
(No VM)

java -version, from the command line returns,
java version "1.4.2"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.1 20060525 (Red Hat 4.1.1-1)

It seems Tomcat can't find the JVM it could previously, what could this be
from?

Jim

  • Caldarale, Charles R at Oct 17, 2006 at 9:27 pm

    From: Jim Douglas
    Subject: Error occurred during initialization of VM

    java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object
    That's about as basic as you can get...
    jdk1.5.0_08
    java -version, from the command line returns,
    java version "1.4.2"
    gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.1 20060525 (Red Hat 4.1.1-1)
    The above demonstrates that java/lang/Object was found when you ran
    -version. However, the version display contradicts what you stated you
    have installed.
    It seems Tomcat can't find the JVM it could previously, what
    could this be from?
    Permissions problem on the directory containing rt.jar? Using the java
    launcher from a non-standard location? Incorrect setting of JAVA_HOME?
    Too many JVMs installed on the system?

    - Chuck

    and its attachments from all computers.

  • Martin Gainty at Oct 17, 2006 at 10:43 pm
    Jim-
    I would re-download /and re-install 1.5 JVM/JDK
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download-netbeans.html
    set your JAVA_HOME to the location where you have installed Java to
    when in doubt write down the Java install location directory and later set JAVA_HOME to that folder e.g.
    set JAVA_HOME=/usr/Java
    HTH,
    Martin--
    Information in this message, including attachments, is intended only for the confidential use of the recipient(s) named
    above. This message may be an Attorney-Client communication and as such is privileged and confidential.
    If you are not an intended recipient of this message, or an agent responsible for delivering it to an intended recipient
    , you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error, that any review, dissemination, distribution,
    or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender
    immediately, delete the message, and return any hard copy print-outs.
    This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the
    designated recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received
    this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its
    conte
    Everything was ok last week, I just restarted Tomcat today and got this
    errror message,

    java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object

    Tomcat 5.5.14
    Apache 2.2
    Fedore Core 5
    jdk1.5.0_08
    (No VM)

    java -version, from the command line returns,
    java version "1.4.2"
    gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.1.1 20060525 (Red Hat 4.1.1-1)

    It seems Tomcat can't find the JVM it could previously, what could this be
    from?

    Jim

  • DE VINZELLES, Guillaume \(ext.\) at Oct 18, 2006 at 7:42 am
    Hi there,

    I'm a bit surprised of what you get from your java -version.
    It says "gij (GNU libgcj)" and as far as I know, gcj is the GNU native java compiler. I can also see that there is a mismatch between the VM version that should be installed (1.5.0_08) and the version returned by java -version (1.4.2). You should follow the previous advices and reinstall the Sun JVM.

    Regards,

    Guillaume de Vinzelles
    DSI/PFS Neuf Cegetel
    Altran Technologies