Fedora Core 3 using Gnome
Installed Tomcat 5.5.4, created tomcatd script to start tomcat in
/etc/rc.d/init.d, chmod +755 tomcatd chkconfig --add tomcatd 5 on

On startup it says it's starting tomcatd, yet tomcat is not run. if I
manually run script with start argument it starts fine.

I've tried searching google, and everyone says put the script in init.d
and chmod it, which I've already done.

  • Luke at Feb 10, 2005 at 3:33 am
    Hi;

    I am trying to install a security realm for my application. I am expecting a
    browser login window. But instead I get:

    HTTP Status 403 - Configuration error: Cannot perform access control
    without an authenticated principal
    type Status report
    message Configuration error: Cannot perform access control without an
    authenticated principal
    description Access to the specified resource (Configuration error: Cannot
    perform access control without an authenticated principal) has been
    forbidden.
    Apache Tomcat/5.0.28

    Why I am not getting the login window?

    Here is the web.xml in project root/WEB-INF

    <security-constraint>
    <web-resource-collection>
    <web-resource-name>fw</web-resource-name>
    <url-pattern>*.do</url-pattern>
    <http-method>POST</http-method>
    </web-resource-collection>
    <auth-constraint>
    <role-name>admin</role-name>
    </auth-constraint>
    <login-config>
    <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
    </login-config>
    </security-constraint>

    <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
    driverName="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver"

    connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost/applicationusers?user=user&amp;passwor
    d=password"
    userTable="applicationusers" userNameCol="user_name"
    userCredCol="user_pass" userRoleTable="user_roles"
    roleNameCol="role_name" />

    The table structure was created using the following sql:

    create table users (
    user_name varchar(15) not null primary key,
    user_pass varchar(15) not null

    );

    create table user_roles (
    user_name varchar(15) not null,
    role_name varchar(15) not null,
    primary key (user_name, role_name)
    );

    How can I trouble shoot this? The log doesn't show anything. Any tips would
    be great.

    Thanks,

    Luke

  • Parsons Technical Services at Feb 10, 2005 at 4:09 am
    Who are you running as when you manually start it?

    Are you on the default ports or did you change them?

    When you mail the list always start with a new message unless replying to a
    post on the list.

    Doug

    Installed Tomcat 5.5.4, created tomcatd script to start tomcat in
    /etc/rc.d/init.d, chmod +755 tomcatd chkconfig --add tomcatd 5 on

    On startup it says it's starting tomcatd, yet tomcat is not run. if I
    manually run script with start argument it starts fine.
    I've tried searching google, and everyone says put the script in init.d
    and chmod it, which I've already done.

  • Charles Patterson at Feb 10, 2005 at 2:00 pm
    root or primary user login
    default ports

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Patterson" <midian8@cox.net>
    Fedora Core 3 using Gnome
    Installed Tomcat 5.5.4, created tomcatd script to start tomcat in
    /etc/rc.d/init.d, chmod +755 tomcatd chkconfig --add tomcatd 5 on

    On startup it says it's starting tomcatd, yet tomcat is not run. if
    I manually run script with start argument it starts fine.
    I've tried searching google, and everyone says put the script in
    init.d and chmod it, which I've already done.

  • LERBSCHER Jean-Pierre at Feb 10, 2005 at 8:28 am
    Hi,
    Could you verify that you have declared your admin role in the web.xml
    file.
    <security-role>
    <role-name>admin</role-name>
    </security-role>

[...]

  • Luke at Feb 10, 2005 at 12:03 pm
    Hi;

    Here is the roles table:

    mysql> select * from roles;
    +-----------+
    role_name |
    +-----------+
    admin |
    +-----------+
    1 row in set (0.02 sec)

    I noticed I did have a mistake in the realm declaration in my server.xml. I
    had the wrong user table name. That is fixed this but still have the
    problem:

    <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm" debug="99"
    driverName="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver"

    connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost/tomcatusers?user=user&amp;password=pas
    sword"
    userTable="users" userNameCol="user_name"
    userCredCol="user_pass" userRoleTable="user_roles"
    roleNameCol="role_name" />

    I also changed my security declaration to have a realm-name in the login
    config:

    <!-- security -->
    <security-constraint>
    <web-resource-collection>
    <web-resource-name>fw</web-resource-name>
    <url-pattern>*.do</url-pattern>
    <http-method>POST</http-method>
    <http-method>GET</http-method>
    </web-resource-collection>
    <auth-constraint>
    <role-name>admin</role-name>
    </auth-constraint>
    <login-config>
    <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
    <realm-name>fw</realm-name>
    </login-config>
    </security-constraint>

    The error is (which appears without a login window first allowing me to
    authenticate):

[...]

  • Harry Mantheakis at Feb 10, 2005 at 9:44 am
    Complete guess here, but you might want to check permission settings for the
    Tomcat home (installation) directory - and also see that you've got a Tomcat
    user account set up, etc.

    I have a no-login 'tomcat' user, and permissions for the Tomcat home
    directory (and all its contents) is assigned to that user.
    if I manually run script with start argument...
    What happens when you call the 'tomcatd' script (from the console) without
    any arguments? (Surely that's what happens when the system calls 'tomcatd'?)

    Harry Mantheakis