Tomcat won't start...I need some help from the experts. :-)
Startup Error: "bad interpreter: Permission denied" and nothing in log files.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tim

- Redhat Linux 7.2
- Java JDK 1.4.0 beta3 (latest standard release)
- Tomcat 4.0.1
- Apache NOT installed

JAVA_HOME = /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0
CATALINA_HOME = /usr/tomcat4/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1

[root@localhost bin]#
[root@localhost bin]# ./startup.sh
bash: ./startup.sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
[root@localhost bin]#

For additional commands:
Troubles with the list:

Search Discussions

  • James Thayer at Dec 30, 2001 at 1:54 am
    Make sure the files in the bin directory have execute permission.
    Tomcat won't start...I need some help from the experts. :-)
    Startup Error: "bad interpreter: Permission denied" and nothing in log
    files. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Tim

    - Redhat Linux 7.2
    - Java JDK 1.4.0 beta3 (latest standard release)
    - Tomcat 4.0.1
    - Apache NOT installed

    JAVA_HOME = /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0
    CATALINA_HOME = /usr/tomcat4/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1

    [root@localhost bin]#
    [root@localhost bin]# ./startup.sh
    bash: ./startup.sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
    [root@localhost bin]#

    For additional commands:
    Troubles with the list:
  • Tim at Dec 30, 2001 at 11:30 pm

    Make sure the files in the bin directory have execute permission.
    bash: ./startup.sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
    [root@localhost bin]#
    Changed the permissions in the /bin directory and everything works now.
    Thanks James!

    For additional commands:
    Troubles with the list:
  • Craig McClanahan at Dec 30, 2001 at 11:04 pm

    Tomcat won't start...I need some help from the experts. :-)
    Startup Error: "bad interpreter: Permission denied" and nothing in log files.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Tim

    - Redhat Linux 7.2
    - Java JDK 1.4.0 beta3 (latest standard release)
    - Tomcat 4.0.1
    - Apache NOT installed

    JAVA_HOME = /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0
    CATALINA_HOME = /usr/tomcat4/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1

    [root@localhost bin]#
    [root@localhost bin]# ./startup.sh
    bash: ./startup.sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
    [root@localhost bin]#
    That sounds like a message from your shell saying it couldn't understand
    how to process the first line of the script:

    #!/bin/sh

    that says to use "/bin/sh" as the interpreter for the script. Do you have
    a "/bin/sh" on your system? Standard RH 7.2 installs do -- I know that
    for a fact because it's my usual development platform -- but something
    could have gotten modified in your system.

    Craig