Can anybody suggest why I can't seem to compile against the new
struts/xwork release?

An action class that extends a baseclass that extends
com.opensymphony.xwork2.ActionSupport:
cannot find symbol
method getText(java.lang.String,java.util.List<java.lang.String>)

I can confirm that there is a matching method in the appropriate class:
% javap -classpath lib/struts-2.1.x/xwork-2.1.2.jar
com.opensymphony.xwork2.ActionSupport
public java.lang.String getText(java.lang.String, java.util.List);

-Dale

  • Musachy Barroso at Jan 16, 2009 at 7:26 pm
    You probably have 2 versions of xwork in the dependencies(are you using maven?).

    musachy
    Can anybody suggest why I can't seem to compile against the new struts/xwork
    release?

    An action class that extends a baseclass that extends
    com.opensymphony.xwork2.ActionSupport:
    cannot find symbol
    method getText(java.lang.String,java.util.List<java.lang.String>)

    I can confirm that there is a matching method in the appropriate class:
    % javap -classpath lib/struts-2.1.x/xwork-2.1.2.jar
    com.opensymphony.xwork2.ActionSupport
    public java.lang.String getText(java.lang.String, java.util.List);

    -Dale

  • Dasgupta, Ranjan at Jan 16, 2009 at 8:12 pm
    getText(java.lang.String,java.util.List<java.lang.String>) in older xwork changed to
    getText(java.lang.String,java.util.List<java.lang.Object>) in xwork-2.1.2

    You probably have 2 versions of xwork in the dependencies(are you using maven?).

    musachy
    Can anybody suggest why I can't seem to compile against the new
    struts/xwork release?

    An action class that extends a baseclass that extends
    com.opensymphony.xwork2.ActionSupport:
    cannot find symbol
    method getText(java.lang.String,java.util.List<java.lang.String>)

    I can confirm that there is a matching method in the appropriate class:
    % javap -classpath lib/struts-2.1.x/xwork-2.1.2.jar
    com.opensymphony.xwork2.ActionSupport
    public java.lang.String getText(java.lang.String, java.util.List);

    -Dale

  • Dale Newfield at Jan 16, 2009 at 8:23 pm

    Dasgupta, Ranjan wrote:
    getText(java.lang.String,java.util.List<java.lang.String>) in older xwork changed to
    getText(java.lang.String,java.util.List<java.lang.Object>) in xwork-2.1.2
    That was it (almost: it appears to be List, which is different than
    List<Object>). I don't use maven, and I was careful to make sure I only
    had one xwork jar in my path. Since you can't cast a List<String> to a
    List<Object> and casting it to List<? extends Object> also resulted in a
    failure to find the symbol, I wound up just casting them to List and
    adding @SuppressWarnings("unchecked"). Not an ideal solution, but it
    compiles now :-)

    Thanks,
    -Dale