I'm having an issue with a formbean not containing the data I expect
when returned from a JSP. I suspect this is a common problem, but despite
searches I can't find a solution on the net. Any assistance will be
gratefully received.

My form consists of general data about a specific person, along with
an area about purchases. The purchases are listed using <logic:iterate>
tags, with a collection used to drive the iteration.

On submission of the form I was hoping/expecting that the collection
would be populated into the same-named instance variable in the formbean,
allowing me to retrieve the changes made by the user in the JSP. However,
this is not happening as the formbean instance variable is null.

Could anyone suggest a way forward or point me to web resource to
assist with this? I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, but I'm not sure
what.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Registered in Scotland No. 90312. Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB

Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only. If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer. Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. The Royal Bank of Scotland plc does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.

Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to avoid the transmission of viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will not adversely affect its systems or data. No responsibility is accepted by The Royal Bank of Scotland plc in this regard and the recipient should carry out such virus and other checks as it considers appropriate.

  • Laurie Harper at Nov 11, 2006 at 2:00 am

    Gallagher, Jim (RBoS ITD&S Dublin) wrote:
    Hi,

[...]

    We'd need a bit more information to be able to help much. What does your
    form bean look like? How is it configured in struts-config.xml? What do
    the relevant action mappings look like? And how is your JSP coded?

    L.

  • Uday Karrothi at Nov 13, 2006 at 12:01 am
    Even you ar settign all the values properly and getting the display
    accurately. I do not think the changes you made to the Collection( in terms
    of textboxes or checkboxes or Selections) will not reflect on the arrayList.
    Atleast I failed in doing so. There are other ways liek using multiboxes,
    indexing the properties etc.

    i hope that was useful. I could give you examples but I am not sure if I am
    addressing the problem right.

    regards,
    Uday Karrothi
[...]

  • Gallagher, Jim (RBoS ITD&S Dublin) at Nov 13, 2006 at 10:07 am
    Hi,

    Further information as requested:

    The formbean is as below:

    package com.rbsg.application.serviceuserweb.forms;

    import org.apache.struts.action.ActionErrors;
    import org.apache.struts.validator.ValidatorForm;

    import temptest.OrderList;
    import temptest.OrderProduct;

    public class ScReplacementOrderFormBean extends ValidatorForm {

    private String contactID = null;
    private boolean waiveCharge = false;
    private String waiveReason = null;
    private String reasonReplaced = null;
    private OrderList orderProductList = null;

    public void reset(ActionMapping mapping, HttpServletRequest request)
    {

    contactID = null;
    waiveCharge = false;
    waiveReason = null;
    reasonReplaced = null;
    orderProductList = null;
    }

    public ActionErrors validate(
    ActionMapping mapping,
    HttpServletRequest request) {

    return errors;

    }

    public String getContactID() {
    return contactID;
    }

    public String getReasonReplaced() {
    return reasonReplaced;
    }

    public boolean isWaiveCharge() {
    return waiveCharge;
    }

    public String getWaiveReason() {
    return waiveReason;
    }

    public void setContactID(String string) {
    contactID = string;
    }

    public void setReasonReplaced(String string) {
    reasonReplaced = string;
    }

    public void setWaiveCharge(boolean b) {
    waiveCharge = b;
    }

    public void setWaiveReason(String string) {
    waiveReason = string;
    }

    public OrderList getOrderProductList() {
    return orderProductList;
    }

    public void setProductList(OrderList list) {
    orderProductList = list;

    The relevant portion of struts-config.xml is:

    <form-bean name="scReplacementOrderBean"
    type="com.rbsg.application.serviceuserweb.forms.ScReplacementOrderFormBean">
    </form-bean>

    <action path="/scSubmitReplacement"
    type="com.rbsg.application.serviceuserweb.actions.ScSubmitReplacementAction"
    name="scReplacementOrderBean">
    <forward name="success" path="ScContactListPath"></forward>
    </action>

    The relevant portion of the JSP is below:

    <logic:iterate id="orderproductlist" name="orderProductList"
    property="arrayList" type="temptest.OrderProduct">
    property="productQuantity" /></td>
    /><html:hidden name="orderproductlist" property="productID" /></td>
    </logic:iterate>

    This is obviously contained in a larger form, which executes the
    SCSubmitReplacement action.

    I've investigated options like multibox, but because I need to capture 2
    pieces of information from each line of the iterate (the productID and the
    productQuantity) I don't think this suits my needs. Can I get the updated
    collection in the formbean, or is there another technique I need to use?

    Thanks in advance for all advice

    Regards,

    Jim

    *** WARNING : This message originates from the Internet ***

[...]

  • Uday Karrothi at Nov 15, 2006 at 1:23 am
    Hi there,

    I never worked with a text box in the logic iterate but i worked with a
    radio button.

    <logic:iterate id="apprEntry" name="listDevApprGrpList" indexId="userIndex">
    property="primary_or_adjunct" indexed="true" onclick="">Pri.</html:radio>
    property="primary_or_adjunct" indexed="true" onclick="">Adj.</html:radio>
    </logic:iterate>

    for(int i=0;i<listDevApprGrpList.size();i++) // prepare a primary adjunct
    array
    {
    String preparedString = "apprEntry["+i+"].primary_or_adjunct";
    String tempValue = request.getParameter(preparedString);
    primAdj[i] = tempValue;
    }

    For this code
    <logic:iterate id="orderproductlist" name="orderProductList"
    property="arrayList" type="temptest.OrderProduct">
    property="productQuantity" /></td>
    /><html:hidden name="orderproductlist" property="productID" /></td>
    </logic:iterate>

    May be for your Text box you can access it in the action form in this
    fashion

    for(int i=0;i<orderProductList.size();i++) // prepare a primary adjunct
    array
    {
    String preparedString = "orderproductlist["+i+"].productQuantity";
    String tempValue = request.getParameter(preparedString);
    System.out.println("pth string is "+tempValue);
    result[i] = tempValue;
    }

    this will be the same order as that of the ones in ArrayList. So its kind
    of hard to get the product ID at the same time. but if you have them in the
    same order you can match them up.

    Try it out and let me know if this works.

    regards,
    Uday Karrothi
[...]

    ">
    </form-bean>

    <action path="/scSubmitReplacement"
    type="
    com.rbsg.application.serviceuserweb.actions.ScSubmitReplacementAction"
    name="scReplacementOrderBean">
    <forward name="success" path="ScContactListPath"></forward>
    </action>

    The relevant portion of the JSP is below:

    <logic:iterate id="orderproductlist" name="orderProductList"
    property="arrayList" type="temptest.OrderProduct">
    name="orderproductlist"
[...]

  • Gallagher, Jim (RBoS ITD&S Dublin) at Nov 15, 2006 at 11:13 am
    Hi,

    I've sorted this out with the help of a colleague, using the
    multibox solution proposed earlier. It was my ignorance that was preventing
    me seeing the solution, as I didn't know a multibox wrote a string parameter
    as opposed to a boolean.

    To do this I used a line the JSP as follows:

    <bean:write name="authlist" property="contactID" />

    In the formbean the property delindicators is defined as an array of
    Strings. When a checkbox is selected the contactID (as specified above) is
    written to the next available slot in that array. In the action you can then
    retrieve the array from the formbean and within it will be the contactIDs of
    all selected records.

    Many thanks to all who assisted, and apologies to any who suggested
    this approach without me realising it!

    Regards,

    Jim

    Jim Gallagher,
    New BACS Team,
    Domestic Payments,
    Payments, Security & Fraud,
    Royal Bank of Scotland,
    Parkgate Business Park,
    Parkgate Street,
    Dublin 8.
    RBS Depot Code: DUB

    ITS: 7-4171-7167
    External: +353-1-648 7167
    *** WARNING : This message originates from the Internet ***

    Hi there,

    I never worked with a text box in the logic iterate but i worked with a
    radio button.

    <logic:iterate id="apprEntry" name="listDevApprGrpList" indexId="userIndex">
    property="primary_or_adjunct" indexed="true" onclick="">Pri.</html:radio>
    property="primary_or_adjunct" indexed="true" onclick="">Adj.</html:radio>

    for(int i=0;i<listDevApprGrpList.size();i++) // prepare a primary adjunct
    array {
    String preparedString = "apprEntry["+i+"].primary_or_adjunct";
    String tempValue = request.getParameter(preparedString);
    primAdj[i] = tempValue;
    }

    For this code
    <logic:iterate id="orderproductlist" name="orderProductList"
    property="arrayList" type="temptest.OrderProduct"> <tr> <td><html:text
    indexed="true" size='4' maxlength='4' name="orderproductlist"
    property="productQuantity" /></td>
    /><html:hidden name="orderproductlist" property="productID" /></td> </tr>