800-UR-RENTS
unitedrentals.com

Search Discussions

  • Martin Gainty at Oct 10, 2006 at 5:33 pm
    use

    ®

    HTH
    M-
    This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the
    designated recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received
    this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its
    contents
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Van Nguyen
    To: user@struts.apache.org
    Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 1:13 PM
    Subject: render trademark symbol

    Hi,

    I'm using struts 1.2.9 and am running into a problem rendering the trademark symbol using the bean taglib.

    I have this string stored in my lucene index as:

    W.RoseT Convex Jointer

    It stores it in my bean as such. but when I use the <bean:write> tag, it displays it as:

    W.Rose? Convex Jointer

    I added some breakpoints in the WriteTag class inside the struts library, and I see that it comes in as

    W.RoseT Convex Jointer

    And it is being returned as the same string.

    Is there anything else that needs to be done to render the Trademark symbol as T?

    I've read online that HTML needs it to be &trade; to render correctly. But I've tried changing the text in the bean to:

    W.Rose&trade; Convex Jointer

    But that did not work either. the <bean:write> tag just displays it as W.Rose&trade; Convex Jointer

    Any suggestions?

    United Rentals
    Consider it done.â"¢
    800-UR-RENTS
    unitedrentals.com

  • Van Nguyen at Oct 10, 2006 at 5:43 pm
    United Rentals
    Consider it done.™
    800-UR-RENTS
    unitedrentals.com
  • Ed Griebel at Oct 10, 2006 at 6:05 pm
    bean:write may be escaping the &amp; so maybe you could try adding
    escapeXml="false" inside the bean:write tag.

    -ed
[...]

  • Van Nguyen at Oct 10, 2006 at 6:14 pm
    United Rentals
    Consider it done.™
    800-UR-RENTS
    unitedrentals.com
  • Nuwan Chandrasoma at Oct 10, 2006 at 6:22 pm
    hi,

    set the filter attribute of bean:write tag to false and try

    Is escapeXml an attribute for the bean:write tag?

    I do not see that in the Struts 1.2.9 API.

[...]

    Consider it done.(tm)
    800-UR-RENTS
    unitedrentals.com

    United Rentals
    Consider it done.T
    800-UR-RENTS
    unitedrentals.com

  • Ed Griebel at Oct 10, 2006 at 6:26 pm
    Sorry, escapeXml is for <c:out />, Nuawn is right, filter="false" is
    what you are looking for.
[...]

  • Van Nguyen at Oct 10, 2006 at 6:59 pm
    United Rentals
    Consider it done.™
    800-UR-RENTS
    unitedrentals.com
  • Van Nguyen at Oct 11, 2006 at 5:39 pm
    United Rentals
    Consider it done.™
    800-UR-RENTS
    unitedrentals.com
  • Ed Griebel at Oct 11, 2006 at 6:19 pm
    You could create a filter and put it in the chain that would display
    that page. You would do something like:
    - get a handle to the original response writer
    - extend HttpServletResponseWrapper to capture the output
    - pass in an instance of above to chain.doFilter()
    - parse the response, looking for (TM) and replace it.
    + This could be as simple for prototyping as String out =
    wrapper.toString().replaceAll( /*unicode for TM*/"(TM)", "&trade;");
    - write the string above to the original response writer

    There are more efficient ways to change the (TM), but the above will
    get the job done, at least as a proof-of-concept. If you can limit the
    filter to only a few pages in the app and the page generated is not
    "big", you may get away with the above code.

    -ed