get the little trademark symbol to appear. Any ideas?

Wendy Smoak
Applications Systems Analyst, Sr.

  • Pani, Gourav at Jan 23, 2003 at 7:40 pm
    have you tried the hash value?

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Wendy Smoak
    Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 2:30 PM
    To: 'Struts Users Mailing List'
    Subject: [TILES] Help with trademark symbol

    I have a tile definition:
    <definition name="choose.profile" extends="masterPage">
    <put name="heading" value="Benefactor&trade; Web" />
    <put name="body" value="/WEB-INF/jsp/chooseProfileBody.jsp" />
    </definition>

    And on startup, I get
    Apache Tomcat/4.1.18-LE-jdk14
    org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Reference to undefined entity "&trade;"

    Since the 'heading' is inserted into an HTML page, I don't know how else to
    get the little trademark symbol to appear. Any ideas?

    Wendy Smoak
    Applications Systems Analyst, Sr.

    For additional commands, e-mail:
  • Paul Linden at Jan 23, 2003 at 7:40 pm
    The tiles config file is XML, so the parser is trying to reference
    &trade; before it even gets to the web page. Try using &amp;trade; instead.

    Paul

    Wendy Smoak wrote:
    I have a tile definition:
    <definition name="choose.profile" extends="masterPage">
    <put name="heading" value="Benefactor&trade; Web" />
    <put name="body" value="/WEB-INF/jsp/chooseProfileBody.jsp" />
    </definition>

    And on startup, I get
    Apache Tomcat/4.1.18-LE-jdk14
    org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Reference to undefined entity "&trade;"

    Since the 'heading' is inserted into an HTML page, I don't know how else to
    get the little trademark symbol to appear. Any ideas?

    For additional commands, e-mail:
  • Paul Linden at Jan 23, 2003 at 7:46 pm
    Or, as Gourav pointed out, use &#8482; or &#x2122; instead
    (http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/entities/)

    Wendy Smoak wrote:
    I have a tile definition:
    <definition name="choose.profile" extends="masterPage">
    <put name="heading" value="Benefactor&trade; Web" />
    <put name="body" value="/WEB-INF/jsp/chooseProfileBody.jsp" />
    </definition>

    And on startup, I get Apache Tomcat/4.1.18-LE-jdk14
    org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Reference to undefined entity "&trade;"

    Since the 'heading' is inserted into an HTML page, I don't know how
    else to
    get the little trademark symbol to appear. Any ideas?

    For additional commands, e-mail:
  • Todd Pierce at Jan 24, 2003 at 2:03 pm
    Put the text for your heading in application resources and modify your tile
    accordingly.