I've just started using FormFu. And I think it's great. (Thank you.)

Here's one thing that's been bothering me though. Most of the field
types use (by default) a <span> for their container_tag. It seems to
me that the default (for most field types) should be a <div>.

- Generally, it would seem one would want each field on a new line ---

- The default output without CSS is nearly unreadable.

- The vertically aligned css (which so far is the only good
example CSS for FormFu I've found --- are there others?) converts
all these spans to display: block, in any case.

So why the design decision to use the <span>s? I'm guessing (from
what I've seen with the rest of the code) that there's a good reason
but (as outlined above) I can't figure out what it is.

I know I can change the element_defaults (and I have). But if there's
a good reason to stick with <span>s please tell me before I get too
far along with my <div>s.

Cheers,
Jeff Dairiki

Search Discussions

  • Carl Franks at Mar 7, 2008 at 6:58 pm

[...]

    To quote myself from an email on the html-widget list on 23/03/07...

    " At the moment the default is 'span', but I'm starting to come round to
    the idea of changing it to 'div', for a better default layout without
    css. "

    So I can't really argue with myself ;)

    I've tested changing the online cssapp to use divs, and it doesn't
    make any difference to the layout with the vertically-aligned css, but
    does look much better when viewed without css.

    So, yes, I think we might as well change it.
    Anyone else with an opinion on this?

    Carl
  • Zbigniew Lukasiak at Mar 7, 2008 at 7:21 pm

[...]

    I am for it - I've talked to a designer here and he was as well
    surprised to see the spans. I have no opinion of myself - but I think
    we should make it easy for the designers.
    Carl

    Zbigniew Lukasiak
    http://brudnopis.blogspot.com/
  • Carl Franks at Mar 14, 2008 at 7:06 am

    I've just started using FormFu. And I think it's great. (Thank you.)

    Here's one thing that's been bothering me though. Most of the field
    types use (by default) a <span> for their container_tag. It seems to
    me that the default (for most field types) should be a <div>.
    So, yes, I think we might as well change it.
    Anyone else with an opinion on this?
    I've made the change - it's in svn r964

    Carl
  • Zbigniew Lukasiak at Mar 14, 2008 at 7:10 am

    I've just started using FormFu. And I think it's great. (Thank you.)

    Here's one thing that's been bothering me though. Most of the field
    types use (by default) a <span> for their container_tag. It seems to
    me that the default (for most field types) should be a <div>.
    So, yes, I think we might as well change it.
    Anyone else with an opinion on this?
    I've made the change - it's in svn r964
    I have talked to the designer once again and he tossed another option
    - that it should be a list (<UL> and <LI> elements).

    Just brainstorming.

    Z.

    Carl