Dear All,

As you know this year we have been organising the send-a-newbie to get
new people to the YAPC::EU in Pisa. I can announce that we will be
sponsoring 3 people for this event (names will be announced shortly
after we finalise the details).

What I need is a list of people willing to act as guides/helpers for
these newbies when they arrive in Pisa. It would be great if some of the
EPO members could step to the plate and make sure these newbies get to
go to social events, meet Perl regulars and are generally made to feel
welcome. It would nicely round what is a great initiative.

I would dearly love to do this. But, my wife has had a Cesarean and
therefore we cannot travel by plane to Pisa in August (I was hoping we'd
book a last minute plane and do some lightning talks).

So. I come to you all first. I need a list of helpers. I also need
someone to do a lightning talk (potentially one of our three
send-a-newbies) about the initiative - the fact that we will be doing it
again next year and it is not too early to start donating.

If someone could speak to the YEF people while they are there so we can
hopefully get their blessing/support for this initiative then that would
also be cool.

Thanks in advance.

Mark Keating

--
Mark Keating BA (Hons) | Writer, Photographer, Cat-Herder
Managing Director | Shadowcat Systems Limited

Search Discussions

  • Alan Haggai Alavi at Jul 1, 2010 at 4:57 pm

[...]

    Hi Mark,

    Glad to know that the selections are about to be announced!

    If everything goes fine and I am able to attend, I will be sure to
    help the newbies. :-)

    Regards,
    Alan Haggai Alavi.
    --
    The difference makes the difference
  • Karen Pauley at Jul 9, 2010 at 6:14 am
    As you know this year we have been organising the send-a-newbie to get new
    people to the YAPC::EU in Pisa. I can announce that we will be sponsoring 3
    people for this event (names will be announced shortly after we finalise the
    details).
    That's great news.
    What I need is a list of people willing to act as guides/helpers for these
    newbies when they arrive in Pisa. It would be great if some of the EPO
    members could step to the plate and make sure these newbies get to go to
    social events, meet Perl regulars and are generally made to feel welcome. It
    would nicely round what is a great initiative.
    Unfortunately I can only attend part of the conference this year and
    won't be able to help as a guide. I will, however, look out for them
    once I am there.
    If someone could speak to the YEF people while they are there so we can
    hopefully get their blessing/support for this initiative then that would
    also be cool.
    I can certainly speak to the YEF people for you, as I am one of them.

    All the best,

    Karen

groupepo-members-announce @
postedJul 1, '10 at 4:31p