Thanks!
Jim.

Search Discussions

  • Octavian Rasnita at Feb 9, 2011 at 7:43 am
    From: "Jim Green" <student.northwestern@gmail.com>
    Hello,
    when I was reading about moose and orm I found dbic will be based on
    moose in next major release. I am currently using RDBO and was
    satisfied with it with some exceptions(no sybase support right now, no
    potential move to moose)..

    RDBO has performance advantage compared with DBIC according to this
    benchmark http://code.google.com/p/rose/wiki/RDBOBenchmarks. Since I
    like moose and would like to have a standard/popular orm with moose as
    base. Could anyone convince me that DBIC performance penalty is minor
    compared with its potential integration with moose, also with moose
    integration I guess the performance will be hit?

    Thanks!
    Jim.

    If the most important thing is the performance, then I think you don't need
    to use any ORM.

    If other things are more important than the performance, (thinking that the
    database access is the main cause of slowness, and not the SQL strings
    generation), then you need to compare those things among the ORMs, and not
    their speed.

    Octavian
  • Eden Cardim at Feb 9, 2011 at 9:15 am
    "Jim" == Jim Green writes:
    Jim> Hello,
    Jim> when I was reading about moose and orm I found dbic will be based on
    Jim> moose in next major release. I am currently using RDBO and was
    Jim> satisfied with it with some exceptions(no sybase support right now, no
    Jim> potential move to moose)..

    Jim> RDBO has performance advantage compared with DBIC according to this
    Jim> benchmark http://code.google.com/p/rose/wiki/RDBOBenchmarks. Since I
    Jim> like moose and would like to have a standard/popular orm with moose as
    Jim> base. Could anyone convince me that DBIC performance penalty is minor
    Jim> compared with its potential integration with moose, also with moose
    Jim> integration I guess the performance will be hit?

    I'd really like to see the actual code from the benchmarks (not an
    mst-signed advertisement). There are plenty of ways to optimize the raw
    DBIC methods/accessors.

    --
    Eden Cardim
    Software Engineer