First of all, I am total newbie with Catalyst (but not with Perl),
so please ignore any cluelessnes.

I got interested in Catalyst and in particular Catalyst::Plugin::AutoCRUD
and wanted to give it a try. I followed the instructions in the
"INSTANT DEMO APPLICATION" section of AutoCRUD manual page but can
not get it to work and do not have a clue how to troubleshoot.

The startup of the demo application is accompanied by some worrying
diagnostics outputs (see below).

If I try with old Catalyst (5.80032-1) and old Perl (v5.12.4) as
distributed by Ubuntu & Debian, I do get a server listening at port
3000 and can connect to it. I get the following message on the web
page:
Welcome to AutoCRUD, an automagic web interface for databases

The schema for database "Dbic" has been loaded, so please select a
table by clicking on its label, below.
... but unfortunately there is nothing to click below that message.

The startup is accompanied with the following messages:
Dynamic schema detected, will run in 0.04006 mode.

Set the 'naming' attribute or the SCHEMA_LOADER_BACKCOMPAT environment variable
to disable this warning.

Also consider setting 'use_namespaces => 1' if/when upgrading.

See perldoc DBIx::Class::Schema::Loader::Manual::UpgradingFromV4 for more
details.
******************************* WARNING ***************************************
* No sources found (did you forget to define your tables?) *
* *
* To turn off this warning, set the CMDS_NO_SOURCES environment variable. *
[debug] Debug messages enabled
[debug] Statistics enabled
[warn] You are running an old script!

Please update by running (this will overwrite existing files):
catalyst.pl -force -scripts DemoApp

or (this will not overwrite existing files):
catalyst.pl -scripts DemoApp

[debug] Loaded plugins:
.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Catalyst::Plugin::AutoCRUD 1.112770 |
Catalyst::Plugin::ConfigLoader 0.30 |
'----------------------------------------------------------------------------'
[..]

If I use current Perl with current Catalyst, I do not get a HTTP
server on port 3000. The application starts but I can not connect
to it. I get the following messages when starting:
You are loading Catalyst::Engine::HTTP explicitly.

This is almost certainally a bad idea, as Catalyst::Engine::HTTP
has been removed in this version of Catalyst.

Please update your application's scripts with:

catalyst.pl -force -scripts MyApp

to update your scripts to not do this.

[...]

Am I doing something wrong? Is AutoCRUD maintained? If not, is there
some replacement?

(Running "catalyst.pl -force -scripts DemoApp" as instructed in the
diagnostics output does not help, it does not seem like this is a
proper thing to do.)

--
Janne Snabb / EPIPE Communications
snabb@epipe.com - http://epipe.com/

Search Discussions

  • Denny at Oct 7, 2011 at 9:28 am
    AutoCRUD is definitely maintained, and generally works very well.

    'No sources defined' sounds to me like possibly your AutoCRUD config is wrong... I can't read the demo from here though, so can't help with specific advice, sorry.

    --
    Sent from my phone. Please excuse terseness, typos and top-posting.

    Hi,

    ***************************************
[...]

    Searchable archive:
    Dev site: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/
  • Oliver Gorwits at Oct 7, 2011 at 10:16 am

    AutoCRUD is definitely maintained, and generally works very well.

    'No sources defined' sounds to me like possibly your AutoCRUD config is
    wrong... I can't read the demo from here though, so can't help with
    specific advice, sorry.
    I released a new beta of AutoCRUD a couple of days ago, but it seems
    metacpan.org doesn't scream "DEVELOPMENT RELEASE" at the user in the same
    way search.cpan.org does - so I'm sorry if some users innocently
    downloaded the 2.x TRIAL version, instead of the 1.x stable release.

    The OP is probably quite right - AutoCRUD's demo app mightn't work, as
    I've focused on getting the 1.x test suite to pass under 2.x (which it
    does :-). AutoCRUD is developed on the shifting sands of many other
    modules, and it may also be that changes elsewhere need to be handled.

    If anyone wants to try the 2.x release of AutoCRUD - please do! There are
    many new and oft-requested features now in place, including:

    * Support for both composite and compound primary keys
    * Tables can have multiple relations to the same table
    * Tables can have relations to themselves
    * Can set filters on has_many and many_to_many type relations
    * URI query string can pre-set filter(s): cpac_filter.$col=$val
    * Support for tables with no primary key (possibly read-only)
    * Support for columns with names that are not Perl identifiers
    * Support for Views (in DBIx::Class, both virtual and non-virtual)
    * DBIx::Class proxy columns are displayed and can be edited
    * Support custom accessor names on DBIx::Class columns
    * Auto-increment columns are not displayed on the Add/Edit form

    The guts have also been rewritten to decouple from DBIx::Class, and hence
    support other table/column-like storage backends. What remains is for me
    to document the API so that this can be used.

    p.s. if you do encounter an issue - by all means try this mail list but
    also raise a ticket at rt.cpan.org as then I will keep track of it, and be
    more likely to take a look on a rainy Sunday afternoon :-)

    regards,
    oliver.
  • Jul Gil at Oct 7, 2011 at 3:11 pm

    AutoCRUD is definitely maintained, and generally works very well.

    'No sources defined' sounds to me like possibly your AutoCRUD config is
    wrong... I can't read the demo from here though, so can't help with
    specific advice, sorry.
    I released a new beta of AutoCRUD a couple of days ago, but it seems
    metacpan.org doesn't scream "DEVELOPMENT RELEASE" at the user in the same
    way search.cpan.org does - so I'm sorry if some users innocently
    downloaded the 2.x TRIAL version, instead of the 1.x stable release.

    The OP is probably quite right - AutoCRUD's demo app mightn't work, as
    I've focused on getting the 1.x test suite to pass under 2.x (which it
    does :-). AutoCRUD is developed on the shifting sands of many other
    modules, and it may also be that changes elsewhere need to be handled.

    If anyone wants to try the 2.x release of AutoCRUD - please do!
    In order to ease the solving of my utf-8 bug I have developed a poc ;
    you can download it at http://gilles.tk/TestUTF8-0.01.tar.gz
    It's a simple Catalyst App, with a sqlite3 database with only one
    table and a text column, with utf-8 content.

    I tried to run it with the 2.x Trial (same code, same config, only
    changing the AutoCRUD modules), and I have the following error :

    Caught exception in TestUTF8::Controller::AutoCRUD::Root->err_message
    "Use of uninitialized value in exists at
    /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1/Catalyst/Plugin/AutoCRUD/Controller/Root.pm
    line 158."

    --
    Julien Gilles.
  • Oliver Gorwits at Oct 9, 2011 at 2:33 pm