FAQ
Hey all,
I noticed today that Catalyst::Plugin::Cache::FastMmap has been
DEPRECATED for some now. (With dire warnings about it segfaulting or
discarding data randomly)

I just wondered what the recommended caching backend is now, to use
with Catalyst::Plugin::Cache.

(In my case, cached data doesn't need to be consistent between app
servers.. it's more just for performance so simple local-disk is fine
for caching, rather than memcached or database based solutions.)

Cheers,
Toby

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer
Things fall apart; the center cannot hold
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Search Discussions

  • Toby Corkindale at Oct 7, 2011 at 5:05 am
    Is there a Plugin::CHI or a CHI driver for Plugin::Cache anywhere?
    On 7 October 2011 12:52, Toby Corkindale wrote:
    Hey all,
    I noticed today that Catalyst::Plugin::Cache::FastMmap has been
    DEPRECATED for some now. (With dire warnings about it segfaulting or
    discarding data randomly)

    I just wondered what the recommended caching backend is now, to use
    with Catalyst::Plugin::Cache.

    (In my case, cached data doesn't need to be consistent between app
    servers.. it's more just for performance so simple local-disk is fine
    for caching, rather than memcached or database based solutions.)

    Cheers,
    Toby

    --
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer
    Things fall apart; the center cannot hold
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world


    --
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer
    Things fall apart; the center cannot hold
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world
  • Stephen Clouse at Oct 7, 2011 at 7:22 am

    On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Toby Corkindale wrote:

    Is there a Plugin::CHI or a CHI driver for Plugin::Cache anywhere?
    CHI works fine with C::P::Cache out of the box, nothing extra required.

    Just specify class => 'CHI' in the backend config and pass CHI configuration
    as documented.

    --
    Stephen Clouse <stephenclouse@gmail.com>
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
    URL: http://lists.scsys.co.uk/pipermail/catalyst/attachments/20111007/26407d9d/attachment.htm
  • Jonathan Swartz at Oct 7, 2011 at 12:59 pm

    On Oct 7, 2011, at 12:22 AM, Stephen Clouse wrote:

    On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Toby Corkindale wrote:
    Is there a Plugin::CHI or a CHI driver for Plugin::Cache anywhere?

    CHI works fine with C::P::Cache out of the box, nothing extra required.

    Just specify class => 'CHI' in the backend config and pass CHI configuration as documented.
    Would be cool if there was an example of using CHI in the Synopsis of the C::P::Cache docs. I'm not familiar with submitting Catalyst changes but maybe someone who is can stick this in?

    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
    URL: http://lists.scsys.co.uk/pipermail/catalyst/attachments/20111007/4b3f242e/attachment.htm
  • Toby Corkindale at Oct 14, 2011 at 6:12 am

    On 7 October 2011 18:22, Stephen Clouse wrote:
    On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Toby Corkindale wrote:

    Is there a Plugin::CHI or a CHI driver for Plugin::Cache anywhere?
    CHI works fine with C::P::Cache out of the box, nothing extra required.

    Just specify class => 'CHI' in the backend config and pass CHI configuration
    as documented.
    Oh! Right.
    Thanks.

    Out of interest, how was I supposed to know I could do that?

    I thought I needed to pick modules which had existing
    catalyst::plugin::cache::store::X modules. (where X is the backend
    name)

    cheers,
    Toby

    --
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer
    Things fall apart; the center cannot hold
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world
  • Kieren Diment at Oct 14, 2011 at 6:34 am

    On 14/10/2011, at 5:12 PM, Toby Corkindale wrote:
    On 7 October 2011 18:22, Stephen Clouse wrote:
    On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Toby Corkindale wrote:

    Is there a Plugin::CHI or a CHI driver for Plugin::Cache anywhere?
    CHI works fine with C::P::Cache out of the box, nothing extra required.

    Just specify class => 'CHI' in the backend config and pass CHI configuration
    as documented.
    Oh! Right.
    Thanks.

    Out of interest, how was I supposed to know I could do that?

    I thought I needed to pick modules which had existing
    catalyst::plugin::cache::store::X modules. (where X is the backend
    name)
    Can you put that to the RT queue for Catalyst::Plugin::Cache and/or Catalyst::Manual::Cookbook please, ideally with a patch please.
  • Tomas Doran at Oct 21, 2011 at 6:37 pm

    On 13 Oct 2011, at 23:12, Toby Corkindale wrote:
    On 7 October 2011 18:22, Stephen Clouse wrote:
    On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Toby Corkindale <toby@dryft.net>
    wrote:
    Is there a Plugin::CHI or a CHI driver for Plugin::Cache anywhere?
    CHI works fine with C::P::Cache out of the box, nothing extra
    required.

    Just specify class => 'CHI' in the backend config and pass CHI
    configuration
    as documented.
    Oh! Right.
    Thanks.

    Out of interest, how was I supposed to know I could do that?

    I thought I needed to pick modules which had existing
    catalyst::plugin::cache::store::X modules. (where X is the backend
    name)
    The docs for Catalyst::Plugin::Cache are _rubbish_.

    Patches (and/or) new maintainer would be VERY welcome..

    I don't use it, so I've maintained it when people have handed me
    patches, but the docs (at least) could use some serious love!

    Cheers
    t0m
  • Alexander Hartmaier at Oct 7, 2011 at 7:45 am
    Hi Toby,
    note that you can still use Cache::FastMmap with Catalyst::Plugin::Cache
    (Config::General config file section):

    <Plugin::Cache>
    <backend>
    class Cache::FastMmap
    expires 3600
    cache_size 8m
    </backend>
    </Plugin::Cache>

    It took me also some time to find out which module is the 'old' and
    which the 'new' one, docs need improvement for that.
    I'm using it since years without a single segfault. You shouldn't use it
    as a session *store* because it is a *cache* which means it can drop a
    stored entry anytime if it runs out of memory for a new entry.

    Cheers, Alex

    Am 2011-10-07 03:52, schrieb Toby Corkindale:
    Hey all,
    I noticed today that Catalyst::Plugin::Cache::FastMmap has been
    DEPRECATED for some now. (With dire warnings about it segfaulting or
    discarding data randomly)

    I just wondered what the recommended caching backend is now, to use
    with Catalyst::Plugin::Cache.

    (In my case, cached data doesn't need to be consistent between app
    servers.. it's more just for performance so simple local-disk is fine
    for caching, rather than memcached or database based solutions.)

    Cheers,
    Toby
    *"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*
    T-Systems Austria GesmbH Rennweg 97-99, 1030 Wien
    Handelsgericht Wien, FN 79340b
    *"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*
    Notice: This e-mail contains information that is confidential and may be privileged.
    If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and then
    delete this e-mail immediately.
    *"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*"*

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupcatalyst @
categoriescatalyst, perl
postedOct 7, '11 at 1:52a
activeOct 21, '11 at 6:37p
posts8
users6
websitecatalystframework.org
irc#catalyst

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase