Hello-

I'm trying to run the Catalyst Tutorial on OS X. I installed
VirtualBox and the tutorial according to the instructions on the
shadowcat website. Everything seems to work, except there is no
network connection, only the local loopback, lo 127.0.0.1.

Then I installed a Debian VM (same version as the Catalyst Tutorial),
and that works fine, meaning the Bridged Adapter gives a network
connection with an IP from my DHCP server.

Any suggestions?

-Bill

Search Discussions

  • Tom Keller at Sep 22, 2011 at 9:22 pm
    Parallels
    ... works for me.
    I'm trying to run the Catalyst Tutorial on OS X. I installed
    VirtualBox and the tutorial according to the instructions on the
    shadowcat website. Everything seems to work, except there is no
    network connection, only the local loopback, lo 127.0.0.1.

    Then I installed a Debian VM (same version as the Catalyst Tutorial),
    and that works fine, meaning the Bridged Adapter gives a network
    connection with an IP from my DHCP server.

    Any suggestions?

    -Bill

  • Bill Birkett at Sep 23, 2011 at 12:15 am
    What version of Parallels are you running? I was unable to migrate
    the VM using Build 5.0.9376.
    Parallels
    ... works for me.
    I'm trying to run the Catalyst Tutorial on OS X. I installed
    VirtualBox and the tutorial according to the instructions on the
    shadowcat website. Everything seems to work, except there is no
    network connection, only the local loopback, lo 127.0.0.1.

    Then I installed a Debian VM (same version as the Catalyst Tutorial),
    and that works fine, meaning the Bridged Adapter gives a network
    connection with an IP from my DHCP server.

    Any suggestions?

    -Bill

  • Tom Keller at Sep 23, 2011 at 4:34 pm
    I'm running Lion (10.7.1) so I upgraded Parallels to v.7. When you download and unarchive the vm archive, it won't have the parallels format, but Parallels will reformat CatalystTutorial.vmdk file and add it to it's list of VMs.

    best of luck,
    Tom
    MMI DNA Services Core Facility
    503-494-2442
    kellert at ohsu.edu
    Office: 6588 RJH (CROET/BasicScience)

    OHSU Shared Resources

    What version of Parallels are you running? I was unable to migrate
    the VM using Build 5.0.9376.
    Parallels
    ... works for me.
    I'm trying to run the Catalyst Tutorial on OS X. I installed
    VirtualBox and the tutorial according to the instructions on the
    shadowcat website. Everything seems to work, except there is no
    network connection, only the local loopback, lo 127.0.0.1.

    Then I installed a Debian VM (same version as the Catalyst Tutorial),
    and that works fine, meaning the Bridged Adapter gives a network
    connection with an IP from my DHCP server.

    Any suggestions?

    -Bill

  • Charlie Garrison at Sep 22, 2011 at 11:58 pm
    Good morning,

    On 22/09/11 at 3:58 PM -0400, Bill Birkett
    I'm trying to run the Catalyst Tutorial on OS X. I installed
    VirtualBox and the tutorial according to the instructions on
    the shadowcat website. Everything seems to work, except there
    is no network connection, only the local loopback, lo 127.0.0.1.
    Why do you need to install in a VM? Why not just install for
    OSX? You probably want your own perl (not system's perl) but
    that's easy to do with perlbrew.

    Charlie

    --
    ? Charlie Garrison ? <garrison@zeta.org.au>

    ? http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
  • Bill Birkett at Sep 23, 2011 at 12:31 am
    Thanks for suggesting perlbrew. Sounds like a good solution.

    The tutorial VM is strongly recommended in the
    tutorial documentation, which is why I went down
    that path.

    Why do you need to install in a VM? Why not just
    install for OSX? You probably want your own perl
    (not system's perl) but that's easy to do with
    perlbrew.

    Charlie

    --
    ? Charlie Garrison ? <garrison@zeta.org.au>

    ?? http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

  • Bill Birkett at Sep 23, 2011 at 11:41 am
    I installed a working copy of Perl with perlbrew,
    cpan'd the tutorial modules and svn'd the
    tutorial test files. Two hours and one missing
    module later, success.