I was just wondering about this the other day. How do people showcase
their apps to other people?

Powerpoint presentations with screenshots?
Recorded screencasts?
Live demo of an app over screen sharing (VNC, webmeeting, elluminated, etc)?

The first two are kind of OK, but static. The third is ideal for a
live session, with interaction, questions from the end user (how do I
do X?), which is always nice. However, for the 3rd option, there is
this obstacle of having to pre-arrange things (VNC), fight against
firewalls, contracting a 3rd party (webmeeting), etc.

And I just came across a thought ... is there any easier way of making
a live demo of an app? For example, typing and clicking on my screen
is mirrored in someone else's browser, while talking on the phone or
over skype? Is there any javascript cross-browser framework that would
allow for this? Maybe together with some server-side code in the app
to manage invitations/acceptance?

Or am I just dreaming?

--
fernan

PS: now that I think more of it, maybe this would be like turning a
catalyst app into a sort of google wave clone of its own

Search Discussions

  • Andy Betteridge at Apr 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm
    Hi,

    You should probably take a look at Webex and others of that ilk.

    Cheers,
    Andy.
[...]

    Searchable archive:
    Dev site: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
  • Lee at Apr 28, 2011 at 3:18 pm

    And I just came across a thought ... is there any easier way of making
    a live demo of an app? For example, typing and clicking on my screen
    is mirrored in someone else's browser, while talking on the phone or
    over skype? Is there any javascript cross-browser framework that would
    allow for this? Maybe together with some server-side code in the app
    to manage invitations/acceptance?
    You could try Selenium.
  • Ian Docherty at Apr 28, 2011 at 3:46 pm
    I have used gotomypc in the past for a one-on-one demo, ISTR they have something called goToMeeting which might also allow several people to see the demo. (Can't verify ATM since the site is blocked by our firewall policy).

[...]

    This e-mail (including any attachments) is confidential, may contain
    proprietary or privileged information and is intended for the named
    recipient(s) only. Unintended recipients are prohibited from taking action
    on the basis of information in this e-mail and must delete all copies.
    Nomura will not accept responsibility or liability for the accuracy or
    completeness of, or the presence of any virus or disabling code in, this
    e-mail. If verification is sought please request a hard copy. Any reference
    to the terms of executed transactions should be treated as preliminary only
    and subject to formal written confirmation by Nomura. Nomura reserves the
    right to monitor e-mail communications through its networks (in accordance
    with applicable laws). No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by
    Nomura by any mistransmission of this e-mail. Any reference to "Nomura" is
    a reference to any entity in the Nomura Holdings, Inc. group. Please read
    our Electronic Communications Legal Notice which forms part of this e-mail:
    http://www.Nomura.com/email_disclaimer.htm
  • Ali Mesdaq at Apr 28, 2011 at 4:20 pm
    goToMeeting is great for interactive two way demo's and it's easy to pass control back and forth between different presenters. goToWebinar is also available if you want more of a one to many type of demo. goToMeeting is especially good for situations where the live demo of a site is unavailable publicly you can just give the user control of your whole screen or just one application and let them use the demo themselves and take control back at anytime.

    Thanks,
    ALI MESDAQ
    Sr. Security Researcher

    WEBSENSE, INC.
    ph: +1.858.320.9466
    fax: +1.858.784.4466
    www.websense.com

    Websense TRITON(tm)
    For Essential Information Protection(tm)
    Web Security | Data Security | Email Security

[...]

    Protected by Websense Email Security Gateway - www.websense.com

    Protected by Websense Hosted Email Security -- www.websense.com
  • Will Trillich at Apr 28, 2011 at 5:36 pm
    We're pretty happy with FuzeMeeting so far. Nice alternative to webex and
    gotomeeting.