I was surprised to see that IE9 still won't take anything but an ICO file for the
"favicon". In fact, it will ignore the LINK in the header and use a favicon.ico file in
the root if present.

So, what tool do you use to create this file, say, by converting a PNG?
Thumbs Plus threw away the alpha channel completely, and the icon resource editor in
Visual Studio 10 is still from the 80's, giving only a single transparent bit for
256-color and higher; yet I read that starting with Windows XP they ditched the AND/OR bit
layer and went with a full alpha transparency layer.

So, given a PNG file, is there a tool that will spit out a ICO that works as well as can
be expected, aimed at XP compatibility but with an older compatibility image in there
(Windows 2000) as well?

This is something every web site needs. So where do you get yours?

--John

Search Discussions

  • Simon Wilcox at Mar 23, 2011 at 8:18 am

    So, given a PNG file, is there a tool that will spit out a ICO that
    works as well as can be expected, aimed at XP compatibility but with an
    older compatibility image in there (Windows 2000) as well?

    This is something every web site needs. So where do you get yours?
    You've tried these ?

    http://www.google.com/search?q=png+to+ico+converter

    I've used converticon.com and it seems to do the trick.

    S.
  • Kieren Diment at Mar 23, 2011 at 9:12 am
    If you're a free software purist, the imagemagick tools will probably also do the trick.
    So, given a PNG file, is there a tool that will spit out a ICO that
    works as well as can be expected, aimed at XP compatibility but with an
    older compatibility image in there (Windows 2000) as well?

    This is something every web site needs. So where do you get yours?
    You've tried these ?

    http://www.google.com/search?q=png+to+ico+converter

    I've used converticon.com and it seems to do the trick.

    S.

  • John M. Dlugosz at Mar 23, 2011 at 9:31 am