Hi folks

We have a Catalyst app we've developed since about 2005 or so. We
put it aside in late 2008, and haven't touched it until now.

I wanted to see if it would still work (as it turns out, we can reuse
this for a new project).

Before we get into this in depth, are there any pointers/blog
posts/articles about forward porting an application (this was
pre-Moose), or whether or not the app would work without forward porting?

Basically we don't want to have to redevelop everything we put into
that (login/authentication, views, etc.), and simply add to the existing
app with a limited set of changes to make it current would be ideal.

Thanks!

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO

Search Discussions

  • Andrew Rodland at Mar 17, 2011 at 8:27 pm

    We have a Catalyst app we've developed since about 2005 or so. We
    put it aside in late 2008, and haven't touched it until now.

    I wanted to see if it would still work (as it turns out, we can reuse
    this for a new project).

    Before we get into this in depth, are there any pointers/blog
    posts/articles about forward porting an application (this was
    pre-Moose), or whether or not the app would work without forward porting?

    Basically we don't want to have to redevelop everything we put into
    that (login/authentication, views, etc.), and simply add to the existing
    app with a limited set of changes to make it current would be ideal.

    Thanks!

    Joe
    It's the intention of the Catalyst dev team that new releases don't break
    existing apps. The 5.7 to 5.8 transition broke that promise *slightly* more
    than most releases (mostly due to the C3 MRO), but a great many apps written
    for 5.7 will still run without any changes on 5.8, and of the remainder, 99%
    will only need very small changes. Rewriting your code to make explicit use of
    Moose is *not* required. Just deploy the app with the current version of
    Catalyst and current versions of any plugins it uses, and if there are any
    errors or warnings on startup, use them as guidance. If you run into a nut you
    can't crack, please feel free to come back for advice, but you should start
    out by just trying to run the app.

    Andrew
  • Joe Landman at Mar 17, 2011 at 8:27 pm

[...]

    For laughs, I just tried it, and modulo some module updates, it appears
    to work.

    Thanks folks, this is great! Should speed our development quite a bit!
    Andrew

    --
    Joseph Landman, Ph.D
    Founder and CEO
    Scalable Informatics Inc.
    email: landman@scalableinformatics.com
    web : http://scalableinformatics.com
    http://scalableinformatics.com/sicluster
    phone: +1 734 786 8423 x121
    fax : +1 866 888 3112
    cell : +1 734 612 4615
  • Christiaan Kras at Mar 18, 2011 at 10:31 pm

[...]

    It's also worth it to take a look at
    http://search.cpan.org/dist/Catalyst-Runtime/lib/Catalyst/Upgrading.pod
    and http://search.cpan.org/dist/Catalyst-Runtime/lib/Catalyst/Delta.pod
    for a complete overview of important changes that you might need to
    apply when upgrading.

    --
    Christiaan Kras
    http://blog.htbaa.com