Hello,

I'm trying to find an a plugin or something that does some rudimentary
content negotiation, i.e. multiviews, i.e. serving static files
without their extensions. Can't seem to find anything despite having
scoured for hours. Clearly my search-fu is not up to snuff. Pointers?

--
Dorian Taylor
Make things. Make sense.

Search Discussions

  • Tomas Doran at Dec 10, 2010 at 3:57 pm
    I'm trying to find an a plugin or something that does some
    rudimentary content negotiation, i.e. multiviews, i.e. serving
    static files without their extensions. Can't seem to find anything
    despite having scoured for hours. Clearly my search-fu is not up to
    snuff. Pointers?
    I'm very confused by this question..

    MultiViews is an apache feature for language customisation, and has
    nothing to do with not having extensions on files.

    It's entirely possible to serve static files without extensions if you
    want to...

    What are you _actaully_ trying to do?

    Cheers
    t0m
  • Dorian Taylor (Lists) at Dec 10, 2010 at 8:03 pm
    I'm trying to find an a plugin or something that does some
    rudimentary content negotiation, i.e. multiviews, i.e. serving
    static files without their extensions. Can't seem to find anything
    despite having scoured for hours. Clearly my search-fu is not up to
    snuff. Pointers?
    I'm very confused by this question..

    MultiViews is an apache feature for language customisation, and has
    nothing to do with not having extensions on files.
    Language, mime type, charset and content encoding, actually. I was
    looking for similar behaviour but implemented in Catalyst (i.e.
    presumably using HTTP::Negotiate).
    It's entirely possible to serve static files without extensions if
    you want to...

    What are you _actaully_ trying to do?

    Content negotiation like I said above. Sorry for the confusion. It's
    OK anyway, I wrote my own.

    Dorian Taylor
    Make things. Make sense.
    http://doriantaylor.com
  • Tomas Doran at Dec 15, 2010 at 1:30 am
    Language, mime type, charset and content encoding, actually. I was
    looking for similar behaviour but implemented in Catalyst (i.e.
    presumably using HTTP::Negotiate).
    It's entirely possible to serve static files without extensions if
    you want to...

    What are you _actaully_ trying to do?

    Content negotiation like I said above. Sorry for the confusion. It's
    OK anyway, I wrote my own.
    Yes, but to serve static files (ala the apache feature you're pointing
    to), or to use in actually dynamic requests, or?

    I guess that whatever the answer, this is (or could be easily made
    into) a generic reusable feature that would be handy for multiple
    people.

    Care to share?

    Cheers
    t0m
  • Aristotle Pagaltzis at Dec 10, 2010 at 8:32 pm

    * Tomas Doran [2010-12-10 17:05]:
    MultiViews is an apache feature for language customisation, and
    has nothing to do with not having extensions on files.
    No it isn?t (just), and yes it does. MultiViews allows you to put

    directory.png
    directory.gif
    directory.ico

    in `/icon/`, then use the URI `/icon/directory` (notice the lack
    of extension) to let Apache decide which of these files to serve
    to the browser, based on the `Accept` header sent by the browser
    and the MIME type ? filename extension mapping from the Apache
    configuration.

    I don?t think such a thing exists for Catalyst.

  • Tomas Doran at Dec 15, 2010 at 1:28 am