The Module::Install code generated by catalyst.pl puts MyApp/root into
blib/lib/MyApp/root, right alongside all the things from MyApp/lib. Is
this actually the Right Thing to do? Seems fishy to put the templates
and images and such in the same place as the perl modules.

In the pod for File::ShareDir (which I perused after reading on dhoss's
blog about where he's thinking of putting the helper templates), I read
that static data for modules are supposed to go in the module's 'auto'
directory. Link:
http://search.cpan.org/~adamk/File-ShareDir-1.00/lib/File/ShareDir.pm

So, if I understand rightly, shouldn't the MyApp/root be going into
blib/auto/MyApp/root instead of blib/MyApp/root ?

Rob

Search Discussions

  • Tomas Doran at Jun 9, 2009 at 5:57 pm

    Robert Buels wrote:
    So, if I understand rightly, shouldn't the MyApp/root be going into
    blib/auto/MyApp/root instead of blib/MyApp/root ?
    The simple answer you're looking for is 'hysterical raisins'.

    I'm hoping that we'll move to using File::ShareDir for template for
    installed applications as well as the (Catalyst::Helper) helper files at
    some point in the future (Reaction is doing this already, I see no
    reason not to pull it back into core at some point).

    However most people don't actually install their applications (in a make
    install type way), and so this isn't so much of an issue for them...

    Cheers
    t0m
  • Devin Austin at Jun 9, 2009 at 6:04 pm

    So, if I understand rightly, shouldn't the MyApp/root be going into
    blib/auto/MyApp/root instead of blib/MyApp/root ?
    The simple answer you're looking for is 'hysterical raisins'.

    I'm hoping that we'll move to using File::ShareDir for template for
    installed applications as well as the (Catalyst::Helper) helper files at
    some point in the future (Reaction is doing this already, I see no reason
    not to pull it back into core at some point).

    However most people don't actually install their applications (in a make
    install type way), and so this isn't so much of an issue for them...

    Cheers
    t0m

    Searchable archive:
    Dev site: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/
    We have a bit of code in the Helper section that looks for the stuff in the
    distribution, as t0m has said, but it's untested, and not really implemented
    yet tbh. People *don't* really install their applications, although they
    should, because a reasonable developer keeps their Makefile.PL up to date
    and thus keeps application dependencies up to date.

    -dhoss

    --
    Devin Austin
    http://www.codedright.net