FAQ
Hi Everyone,

A new version of Catalyst::Manual has been posted to CPAN. Although
we don't yet have a lot of Catalyst 5.80-specific material just yet
(there is some initial information at
http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Catalyst::Manual::CatalystAndMoose --
Please send in any contributions you might have!), I have tested
everything in the tutorial against 5.8004, so we have bumped the
version number of Catalyst::Manual to 5.8XXX as well (note that the
XXX parts of Catalyst::Manual and Catalyst::Runtime version numbers
are *not* expected to match... anything in the 5.8XXX range of one is
expected to be compatible with the 5.8XXX range of the other).

You can get the full history of the changes here:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Catalyst-Manual/Changes

But the important changes in this release include:

* Plural DB table names are now singular. Many thanks to
Kiffin Gish (krg) for all the help on that effort!
* We have gone back to the original plan of putting a number
at the start of the name of each .pod file for the tutorial
so things sort correctly in places like this:
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Catalyst-Manual/
* Add two new sections to the tutorial:
- Ch 4: "Moving Complicated View Code to the Model"
- Ch 3: "RenderView's 'dump_info' Feature"
* Add the Catalyst::Manual::CatalystAndMoose.pod mentioned
above
* Tested the tutorial against 5.8004 on Debian using the
Debian packages.

I have also started grouping items in the "Changes" file based on mods
to the tutorial vs other parts of the docs... I'm hoping that will
help people figure out where the changes are taking place so they can
go back and review just the new sections.

Speaking of reviewing the new sections, here is a summary of some
other important and fairly recent changes to the tutorial in case you
want to go back and review the new material. Many of these at things
mst has been "urging" me to update to the current "best practice" for
some time. :-) We are going to try to put out short FYI notes to the
list when there are major changes to the docs (certainly not planning
to do that for every release where it's just minor typo fixes and
such)... but consider this a "catch up" list to summarize the main
changes in the tutorial over the last 5-6 months: :-)

* Chapter 03_MoreCatalystBasics
- Remove "create=dynamic" for model creation
- Switch to "load_namespaces" for DBIC
- Remove TTSite (thanks to dhoss for the help)
* Chapter 04_BasicCRUD
- Add new section "Exploring the Power of DBIC"
- Add chained dispatch
* Chapter 05_Authentication:
- Switch to Catalyst::Authentication::Realm::SimpleDB
- Switch to DBIx::Class::EncodedColumn for hashed & salted passwords
* Chapter 06_Authorization
- Removed Catalyst::Plugin::Authorization::ACL in favor of
"chained and model-based" approach
* Chapter 10_Appendices
- Rewrite the Postgresql section

Regards,
Kennedy

Search Discussions

  • Darren Duncan at May 28, 2009 at 8:39 pm

    hkclark@gmail.com wrote:
    A new version of Catalyst::Manual has been posted to CPAN. Although
    we don't yet have a lot of Catalyst 5.80-specific material just yet
    (there is some initial information at
    http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?Catalyst::Manual::CatalystAndMoose --
    Please send in any contributions you might have!), I have tested
    everything in the tutorial against 5.8004, so we have bumped the
    version number of Catalyst::Manual to 5.8XXX as well
    Thanks. As someone who intends to begin using Catalyst with the 5.8+ series,
    its nice to have documentation focused on the new best practices.
    But the important changes in this release include:

    * Plural DB table names are now singular. Many thanks to
    Kiffin Gish (krg) for all the help on that effort!
    This may be bike-shedding and no big deal, but I think this was better the old
    way. A table represents info on a collection of items, and is best named after
    what the collection as a whole is, such as 'books', 'authors', 'book_authors',
    etc, same as how you'd name an array variable in Perl. Instead, 'book' or
    'author' etc is best used as the name of a variable containing a single row from
    said table, such as with "for my $book (@books) {...}".

    Now more important than that however, I recommend updating the examples so that
    all of the id columns are named 'foo_id' consistently rather than 'foo_id' in
    some places and 'id' in others, where it makes sense. In this case, 'book'
    should have 'book_id' and 'author' should have 'author_id'. One reason for this
    is that you can then easily do a natural join between the 3 tables, or between
    any applicable 2 tables, and the rows would match up as they should, and result
    columns would have distinct names, whereas with your current naming you'd have
    to write an explicit join condition to make them match up and explicit column
    renames to identify which 'id' you're looking at in a resultset or view. The
    benefits of such a naming scheme go beyond that, and would seem to outweigh any
    benefits of naming them all 'id'. The point is it is more natural and a best
    readability and maintainability practice for like things to have like names and
    unlike things to have different names.

    -- Darren Duncan
  • Oleg Kostyuk at May 29, 2009 at 5:38 pm
    Hi all,

    http://search.cpan.org/dist/Catalyst-Manual/lib/Catalyst/Manual/Cookbook.pod#Authentication_(logging_in)
    have link to old Catalyst::Manual::Tutorial::Authorization from
    Catalyst-Manual-5.7014

    --
    Sincerely yours,
    Oleg Kostyuk (CUB-UANIC)

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupcatalyst @
categoriescatalyst, perl
postedMay 28, '09 at 12:40p
activeMay 29, '09 at 5:38p
posts3
users3
websitecatalystframework.org
irc#catalyst

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase