I'm in the process of upgrading our app to Catalyst 5.8 and Apache 2
on a stock Debian box. The webpages are taking pretty much exactly 15s
to load. I tried stripping out images and other media and even with it
down to the HTML & favicon.ico it's 15s - i.e. it's not blocking on a
particular item.

I have Apache and libapache2-mod-fastcgi and the server running in
standalone. It's been working fine in the old Apache 1.3 + Catalyst
5.7012 environment for years.

I've read various suggestions about DNS but presumably it isnt this
since it's using a fastcgi socket. Other sites served by Apache on
this machine aren't having latency issues.

Profiling ain't working,

paulm@rpix:~/idl/trunk$ . etc/env/dev.sh; PERL5OPT=-d:DProf
IDL-Web/script/idl_web_fastcgi.pl -l /tmp/idl_web_dev.socket -n 1 -p
/tmp/idl_web_dev.pid
panic: Devel::DProf inconsistent subroutine return at
/usr/share/perl5/Catalyst.pm line 1039.

NYTProf fails too,
$ nytprofhtml Generating report...
Reading nytprof.out
inflate failed, error -5 ((null)) at end of input file - is it
truncated? at /usr/lib/perl5/Devel/NYTProf/Data.pm line 78.

Any other hints?

Thanks,
Paul

PS not sure if this is related,
IDL::Web is using the deprecated Catalyst::Base, update your
application as this will be removed in the next major release at
/usr/share/perl5/Catalyst/Base.pm line 7.

Catalyst::Base doesn't appear in our app anywhere(?!)

Search Discussions

  • Tomas Doran at May 19, 2009 at 5:09 pm

    Paul Makepeace wrote:
    I have Apache and libapache2-mod-fastcgi and the server running in
    standalone. It's been working fine in the old Apache 1.3 + Catalyst
    5.7012 environment for years.
    Why are you changing _everything_ at once?

    Why not upgrade from apache 1 => apache 2, and then upgrade Catalyst (or
    vice versa), as currently you've got no idea which of those upgrades is
    causing the issue.
    NYTProf fails too,
    $ nytprofhtml Generating report...
    Reading nytprof.out
    inflate failed, error -5 ((null)) at end of input file - is it
    truncated? at /usr/lib/perl5/Devel/NYTProf/Data.pm line 78.
    You're not exiting cleanly.

    add:

    sub exit : Local {
    exit 0;
    }

    to your app, then hit that as the last hit.

    You should now have profile data you can use..
    PS not sure if this is related,
    IDL::Web is using the deprecated Catalyst::Base, update your
    application as this will be removed in the next major release at
    /usr/share/perl5/Catalyst/Base.pm line 7.

    Catalyst::Base doesn't appear in our app anywhere(?!)
    Hmm, well, I think that it does..

    The warning is issues whenever a class which @ISA Catalyst::Base is
    constructed.

    Use Devel::SimpleTrace, and it should give you more hints..

    Cheers
    t0m
  • Arjuna Del Toso at May 20, 2009 at 12:13 pm

    I'm in the process of upgrading our app to Catalyst 5.8 and Apache 2
    on a stock Debian box. The webpages are taking pretty much exactly 15s
    to load. I tried stripping out images and other media and even with it
    down to the HTML & favicon.ico it's 15s - i.e. it's not blocking on a
    particular item.

    Any other hints?
    My 2 cents: have you tried to disable mod_deflate (if running)?
    Have a nice day,
    Arjuna
    Thanks,
    Paul

    PS not sure if this is related,
    IDL::Web is using the deprecated Catalyst::Base, update your
    application as this will be removed in the next major release at
    /usr/share/perl5/Catalyst/Base.pm line 7.

    Catalyst::Base doesn't appear in our app anywhere(?!)

    Searchable archive:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst@lists.scsys.co.uk/ Dev site:
    http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/
  • Tomas Doran at May 20, 2009 at 12:32 pm