I'm running off of a linode ubuntu image, ipv6 is compiled into the kernel.

When running my app_server.pl, it's binding to ipv4. Via netstat -ntl:
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:3000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
From reading around it seems like there's some situation where linux
machines can't listen to ipv4 and ipv6 at the same time. Again, it seems
that ipv6 support is compiled in so I can't disable it via the modprobe
aliases and would rather not bother recompiling (although it looks like I
may have to).

I'm wondering if there's been any attempt to get the test server going on
ipv6? I attempted altering Catalyst::Engine::HTTP to use IO::Socket::INET6
instead of IO::Socket::INET, seemed to get it listening a bit but then it
seemed like there were other pieces of code that also need to be updated to
work on ipv6 and didn't want to get to far into it without seeing if
progress had been made elsewhere.

Ultimately if I don't find anything I'll either recompile or just get apache
up on ipv6 and run my test server through that.

-Marcus

  • Matt S Trout at Nov 13, 2008 at 8:21 pm

    I'm running off of a linode ubuntu image, ipv6 is compiled into the kernel.

    When running my app_server.pl, it's binding to ipv4. Via netstat -ntl:
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:3000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    From reading around it seems like there's some situation where linux
    machines can't listen to ipv4 and ipv6 at the same time. Again, it seems
    that ipv6 support is compiled in so I can't disable it via the modprobe
    aliases and would rather not bother recompiling (although it looks like I
    may have to).

    I'm wondering if there's been any attempt to get the test server going on
    ipv6? I attempted altering Catalyst::Engine::HTTP to use IO::Socket::INET6
    instead of IO::Socket::INET, seemed to get it listening a bit but then it
    seemed like there were other pieces of code that also need to be updated to
    work on ipv6 and didn't want to get to far into it without seeing if
    progress had been made elsewhere.
    I don't know of any work in that direction but I'm sure we'd love to see
    somebody give it a go - consider starting a thread on catalyst-dev about
    this.

    Also, please subscribe to the list rather than using nabble - we tend to
    have to block them every so often when they forget what "read only" is and
    start letting spam through.

    Technical Director http://www.shadowcat.co.uk/catalyst/
    http://chainsawblues.vox.com/ http://www.shadowcat.co.uk/servers/
  • Marcus baker at Nov 13, 2008 at 8:48 pm

    I'm running off of a linode ubuntu image, ipv6 is compiled into the kernel.

    When running my app_server.pl, it's binding to ipv4. Via netstat -ntl:
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:3000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    From reading around it seems like there's some situation where linux
[...]

    Thanks for getting back to me -- actually, as usual this turned out to
    be one of a number of problems that seem to only pop up when running
    on a 64bit os - I dropped back down to 32bit Ubuntu, and the ipv6 is
    still compiled, in however everything works fine now.

    -Marcus
  • Tomas Doran at Nov 14, 2008 at 12:22 am
    be one of a number of problems that seem to only pop up when running
    on a 64bit os - I dropped back down to 32bit Ubuntu, and the ipv6 is
    still compiled, in however everything works fine now.
    I do all my development in the test server, and have production apps
    deployed on Ubuntu x86_64 - never seen any issues...

    Do you still have the original system available to reproduce some of
    the errors that you were seeing?

    Cheers
    t0m
  • Marcus baker at Nov 14, 2008 at 1:44 am
    be one of a number of problems that seem to only pop up when running
    on a 64bit os - I dropped back down to 32bit Ubuntu, and the ipv6 is
    still compiled, in however everything works fine now.
    I do all my development in the test server, and have production apps
    deployed on Ubuntu x86_64 - never seen any issues...

    Do you still have the original system available to reproduce some of the
    errors that you were seeing?

    Cheers
    t0m

    Good to know! But sorry, I don't have the original system available.

    -Marcus

groupcatalyst @
categoriescatalyst, perl
postedOct 23, '08 at 7:31p