I haven't installed Catalyst from scratch since? I don't know, 2006, I
think. I have reinstalled or installed parts of it many times on many
platforms and that first full installation was the only one that
didn't cause me some kind of problem, sometimes the kind that takes a
couple hours to work out. I wrote an early review of Cat back then,
still on the frameworks homepage, that raved in part about how easy it
was to install. A couple months, and a couple of arguments on the list
about growing installation issues, later I was starting to wish I
could take back some of the review.

I just installed Catalyst::Runtime and Catalyst::Devel from scratch on
a brand new MacBook/Leopard without any modifications to the
environment (well, Xcode but that's required for development) or the
CPAN or anything and they both went in (while following prereqs)
without a single hitch.

I really don't enjoy sysadmin stuff and I begrudge every lost weekend
I've spent trying to recompile Apache with modperl, etc, etc. This was
just completely fantastic. Made me fall in love with Perl and Cat and
recapture the same feeling I had when I first reviewed Catalyst more
than two years ago.

Thanks again to everyone who has worked on making the various pieces
and making the various piece go.

-Ashley

Search Discussions

  • Danny Warren at Mar 4, 2008 at 10:00 am

    Ashley wrote:
[...]

    Thank you for this. I had to do a fresh deployment a few weeks ago and
    had the exact same thought.

    It also didn't occur to me until just now that the "help I am going in
    circles trying to install this thing" posts have all but disappeared
    from here.

    Another thing that never gets a lot of due are the excellent dispatch
    scripts, which I am now completely spoiled by. Every other framework I
    have played with seems to have wildly different script behaviors, and
    seem to have one specific flavor (fcgi vs mod_perl vs dev server, etc)
    that works the best and is pushed over others.

    Catalyst seems to behave how I expect it to no matter how I talk to it,
    which frees me up to pick the method that works best for the place I
    need to put it. At this point I only do a final smoke test with the
    actual deployment parameters before a milestone release, as I just trust
    that an instance of a dev server will behave just like an fcgi socket
    will by now.

    So...thanks everybody!
  • Matt Pitts at Mar 4, 2008 at 12:34 pm

[...]

    Seconded!

    I'm the red-headed Linux step-child in a primarily M$ web shop and every
    time we
    have a dev meeting the M$ guys are bitching about how .NET doesn't work
    like
    "this" or "that" or "here" or "there".

    Catalyst "just works" for me regardless of where and I've only had one
    bug that
    I couldn't duplicate in DEV over a year+ of dev/maintenance on my Cat
    app - and
    it was due to a library difference.

    Only thing Catalyst could do better is make my morning coffee :)

    v/r

    -matt pitts

groupcatalyst @
categoriescatalyst, perl