Catalyst makes it easy to build a site with lots of little modules of
content composing a single page - the actual content (words/images)
being scattered in static apache directories, the database, the
templates folders and the code. At some point a content management
system of some type is needed.

While I hand-roll this sort of thing now it might be nice to have a
standard module with perhaps a rich editor and HTML form, or it might
be more powerful with the ability to manage various stories/images on
disk or db, and integrate uploads even, like some of the portal
building systems do. Perhaps one integrated well with Catalyst could
also allow the user to select template files to use in a given part of
the screen to replace not just on a story basis but on a div basis.

I'd just like to ask if anyone uses a CMS (beyond just hand-rolling
for each instance) or has been seeing similar needs. I think much
development time is spent on creating object management interfaces
which perhaps could be boiled down to some repetitive functionality.

Matt Rosin

Search Discussions

  • Cory Watson at Aug 23, 2007 at 2:46 pm

    Catalyst makes it easy to build a site with lots of little modules of
    content composing a single page - the actual content (words/images)
    being scattered in static apache directories, the database, the
    templates folders and the code. At some point a content management
    system of some type is needed.
    Next year I will have a need for a CMS that:

    - multi-user
    - tracks changes
    - allows previewing
    - is perl
    - doesn't impose a templating system
    - extensible
    - is open source
    - works with my cat site
    I'd just like to ask if anyone uses a CMS (beyond just hand-rolling
    for each instance) or has been seeing similar needs. I think much
    development time is spent on creating object management interfaces
    which perhaps could be boiled down to some repetitive functionality.
    I've not even looked at my options yet. I just know I'm going to need
    one. I don't know that I need a 'CMS', as most of them seem to have
    too many damned features.

    What I really want is a multi-user template editor with change
    tracking, and a cat app that can talk to same... so that the app can
    run in 'preview' mode.

    That just gave me an idea...

    --
    Cory 'G' Watson
    http://www.onemogin.com

    Cory Watson wrote:
    Next year I will have a need for a CMS that:

    - multi-user
    - tracks changes
    - allows previewing
    - is perl
    - doesn't impose a templating system
    - extensible
    - is open source
    - works with my cat site
    If you want sledgehammers, Bricolage and Krang are probably the beefiest
    ones you can find :-)

    www.bricolage.cc & www.krangcms.com

    They'll do all that you want (less perhaps a certain amount of
    flexibility in the templating dept) but could well be overkill.

    I'm not aware of any lighter tools but would be very happy to find one.

    Simon.
  • Cory Watson at Aug 23, 2007 at 3:49 pm