FAQ
Hiya list,

If I have read the archives correctly, the only way to use http and
https to the front end it to have 2 backend servers, once running
http, the other forced to https, otherwise uri_for will not return
the correct paths to the front end on the https ports.

Is this still the case? Will the next version of Catalyst::Runtime
help with only having one backend instance (I can see having 2
backend instances may be harder to manage, esp. when sharing session
data between them - more hoops to jump through).

I have thought about overriding uri_for so all paths are returned to
the browser as https. I was surprised I couldn't find a sub similar
to uri_for that didn't include the uri type and server name ('http://
server/status' vs '/status') so the original connection type is
continued, but not sure what the implications of this might be (just
thought of if, not fully thought it through yet).

Thoughts?

Duncs

Search Discussions

  • Bill Moseley at Aug 6, 2007 at 6:09 pm

    On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 05:40:29PM +0100, Duncan Ferguson wrote:
    Hiya list,

    If I have read the archives correctly, the only way to use http and
    https to the front end it to have 2 backend servers, once running
    http, the other forced to https, otherwise uri_for will not return
    the correct paths to the front end on the https ports.
    Not two backend servers, but a backend that listen on two ports.

    Just need a way to tell the difference between http and https in the
    backend, and using two ports is one way to accomplish that.

    --
    Bill Moseley
    moseley@hank.org
  • Dave Rolsky at Aug 6, 2007 at 6:23 pm

    On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Duncan Ferguson wrote:

    Is this still the case? Will the next version of Catalyst::Runtime help with
    only having one backend instance (I can see having 2 backend instances may be
    harder to manage, esp. when sharing session data between them - more hoops to
    jump through).
    I have a patch in a Catalyst branch that allows you to specify various
    frontend information via headers sent to the backend -
    http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/Catalyst/branches/Catalyst-Runtime-proxystuff/

    For SSL you'd send "X-Forwarded-Is-SSL" with some true value.

    Hopefully this will be merged into the Catalyst trunk sometime soonish.


    -dave

    /*===================================================
    VegGuide.Org www.BookIRead.com
    Your guide to all that's veg. My book blog
    ===================================================*/
  • Jonathan T. Rockway at Aug 6, 2007 at 8:03 pm

    On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 12:23:43PM -0500, Dave Rolsky wrote:
    On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Duncan Ferguson wrote:
    For SSL you'd send "X-Forwarded-Is-SSL" with some true value.

    Hopefully this will be merged into the Catalyst trunk sometime soonish.
    I think we intend to get this into the next maint release (5.7009).
    We just need to write some tests to make sure the new Engine stuff
    works correctly, then we'll release.

    Regards,
    Jonathan Rockway
  • Andy Grundman at Aug 6, 2007 at 8:13 pm

    On Aug 6, 2007, at 3:03 PM, Jonathan T. Rockway wrote:
    On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 12:23:43PM -0500, Dave Rolsky wrote:
    On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Duncan Ferguson wrote:
    For SSL you'd send "X-Forwarded-Is-SSL" with some true value.

    Hopefully this will be merged into the Catalyst trunk sometime
    soonish.
    I think we intend to get this into the next maint release (5.7009).
    We just need to write some tests to make sure the new Engine stuff
    works correctly, then we'll release.
    Yeah, I plan to work on this after we get 5.7008 out the door (which
    should be any day now).

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupcatalyst @
categoriescatalyst, perl
postedAug 6, '07 at 5:40p
activeAug 6, '07 at 8:13p
posts5
users5
websitecatalystframework.org
irc#catalyst

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase