On my dev box, with the test server and with apache/fcgi, PageCache
is working fine. On my live box (with DreamHost, test and apache/
fcgi), it's reporting that it's caching
[debug] Caching page / for 300 seconds
but it reports it for every request instead of serving out of the
cache for X seconds after the first request.

I've looked through the debug output and the POD for all the related
files. Can't figure it out or find any related info in mailing list
archive. I updated all my related Cache modules and I believe
everything that's running is current.

The app is loading these
Cache::FastMmap
PageCache
last, after session and such.

And the config has
page_cache:
set_http_headers: 1
debug: 1

Any ideas where to poke it to figure out why it's failing and how it
can fail silently? Surely it has to do with the filesystem or
permissions underneath? But that causes fatals on my dev box so I am
not sure where to look?

Also, after I already wrote the above I tried Cache::FileCache
instead of Cache::FastMmap and it works dev and live. I'm still
curious why the other won't and which anyone recommends if you have a
reason for a preference.

?Ashley

  • Matt S Trout at Jun 13, 2007 at 4:00 am

    On my dev box, with the test server and with apache/fcgi, PageCache
    is working fine. On my live box (with DreamHost, test and apache/
    fcgi), it's reporting that it's caching
    [debug] Caching page / for 300 seconds
    but it reports it for every request instead of serving out of the
    cache for X seconds after the first request.

    I've looked through the debug output and the POD for all the related
    files. Can't figure it out or find any related info in mailing list
    archive. I updated all my related Cache modules and I believe
    everything that's running is current.

    The app is loading these
    Cache::FastMmap
    PageCache
    last, after session and such.
    Catalyst::Plugin::Cache::* are deprecated, use Catalyst::Plugin::Cache.

    Also note FastMmap will silently drop any object larger than its page size.

    Technical Director Want a managed development or deployment platform?
    Shadowcat Systems Ltd. Contact mst (at) shadowcatsystems.co.uk for a quote
    http://chainsawblues.vox.com/ http://www.shadowcatsystems.co.uk/
  • Ashley Pond V at Jun 13, 2007 at 5:10 am