missed ... ?

--
Daniel McBrearty
email : danielmcbrearty at gmail.com
www.engoi.com : the multi - language vocab trainer
BTW : 0873928131

Search Discussions

  • Krzysztof Krzyżaniak at Jun 8, 2006 at 2:39 pm

    Daniel McBrearty wrote:
    so I created a user for my app to connect as, set a password ...

    CREATE ROLE someone LOGIN PASSWORD 'password';

    yet I can't connnect with my modwl OR from the command line:

    daniel at roomatthetop:~/work/trunk/Engoi$ psql -Usomeone engoi -W
    Password for user someone:
    psql: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "someone"

    I've been looking at the postgres manual for the last hour ... time to
    go for a walk in the sun I think.

    Any ideas though? what simple, essential, slightly obscure step have I
    missed ... ?
    You have set ident as authentication method (it's default in
    postgresql). You have to edit pg_hba.conf file and set proper method for
    your database (password, md5):

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/client-authentication.html

    eloy
    --
    -------e-l-o-y---------------------------e-l-o-y- at -k-o-f-e-i-n-a-.-n-e-t------

    jak to dobrze, ?e s? oceany - bez nich by?oby jeszcze smutniej
  • Daniel McBrearty at Jun 8, 2006 at 2:57 pm
    thanks ...

    not only that but if you update to 8.1 it uses the same /var/log
    folder stuff, but a *different* conf file and /etc/init.d ...

    seems ok now.

    email : danielmcbrearty at gmail.com
    www.engoi.com : the multi - language vocab trainer
    BTW : 0873928131