Hey all,

What is it about Catalyst that requires perl 5.8.1 as opposed to
5.8.0? Does one of the many bugs in 5.8.0 cause serious trouble for
Catalyst? The features sets of the two versions should be virtually
identical... no?

Can anyone recommend a good shared mod_perl(perl 5.8.1 or better:-)
host?

Thanks in advance!
Tim McIntyre

Search Discussions

  • Brandon Black at Feb 14, 2006 at 7:15 am

    What is it about Catalyst that requires perl 5.8.1 as opposed to
    5.8.0? Does one of the many bugs in 5.8.0 cause serious trouble for
    Catalyst? The features sets of the two versions should be virtually
    identical... no?
    It's perhaps not a complete answer, but see this previous thread on
    the same topic:

    http://lists.rawmode.org/pipermail/catalyst/2005-December/thread.html#3822

    -- Brandon
  • Matt S Trout at Feb 14, 2006 at 1:16 pm

    What is it about Catalyst that requires perl 5.8.1 as opposed to
    5.8.0? Does one of the many bugs in 5.8.0 cause serious trouble for
    Catalyst? The features sets of the two versions should be virtually
    identical... no?

    Can anyone recommend a good shared mod_perl(perl 5.8.1 or better:-)
    host?
    Why bother? Production deployment under FastCGI should work fine on shared
    hosting.

    --
    Matt S Trout Offering custom development, consultancy and support
    Technical Director contracts for Catalyst, DBIx::Class and BAST. Contact

  • Perrin Harkins at Feb 14, 2006 at 1:43 pm

    Matt S Trout wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a good shared mod_perl(perl 5.8.1 or better:-)
    host?
    Why bother? Production deployment under FastCGI should work fine on shared
    hosting.
    Maybe he wants to use mod_perl.

    Here's a partial list to get you started:
    http://perl.apache.org/help/isps.html

    You can also use any ISP that offers virtual private servers. You'd
    have root access on one of those.

    - Perrin
  • Matt S Trout at Feb 14, 2006 at 1:49 pm

    Can anyone recommend a good shared mod_perl(perl 5.8.1 or better:-)
    host?
    Why bother? Production deployment under FastCGI should work fine on shared
    hosting.
    Maybe he wants to use mod_perl.
    And "Why bother?", being as it was the sentence construction known in
    english as a question, was an invitation to further comment of *why* he
    would want to use mod_perl, surprisingly enough.

    In most cases the answer tends to be "because I didn't realise FastCGI was
    a useful option", hence the rest of my comment :)

    --
    Matt S Trout Offering custom development, consultancy and support
    Technical Director contracts for Catalyst, DBIx::Class and BAST. Contact
    Shadowcat Systems Ltd. mst (at) shadowcatsystems.co.uk for more information

  • Tim McIntyre at Feb 14, 2006 at 7:47 pm