I just followed the calendar example to install Catalyst on a
reasonably clean machine (new Debian Sarge install on Dreamhost).

I needed to change:

'makepl_arg' => qq[INSTALLDIRS=site install_base=$ENV{HOME}/local],

'makepl_arg' => qq[INSTALLDIRS=site PREFIX=$ENV{HOME}/local],

Seems like there used to be a problem getting everything installed
locally using PREFIX (man pages?), but maybe that was an older
version.

Before using PREFIX above, make install was still trying to install
catalyst.pl in /usr/bin:

Warning: You do not have permissions to install into /usr/bin at
/usr/share/perl/5.8/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 114

It was not that smooth of an install. I needed sudo at one point, but
that was before changing to PREFIX. (Not sure, but maybe that was
during Module::Install build?)

Test::Warn failed install. I had to install Array::Compare and
Test::MockObject by hand to get Test::Warn installed. Then re-ran
the Catalyst install. Took about 45 minutes. Makes me appreciate
those nice .debs.

$ du -sh local
8.3M local

$ find local -type f | wc -l
577

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org

Search Discussions

  • Matt S Trout at Feb 3, 2006 at 2:52 pm

    I just followed the calendar example to install Catalyst on a
    reasonably clean machine (new Debian Sarge install on Dreamhost).

    I needed to change:

    'makepl_arg' => qq[INSTALLDIRS=site install_base=$ENV{HOME}/local],

    'makepl_arg' => qq[INSTALLDIRS=site PREFIX=$ENV{HOME}/local],

    Seems like there used to be a problem getting everything installed
    locally using PREFIX (man pages?), but maybe that was an older
    version.

    Before using PREFIX above, make install was still trying to install
    catalyst.pl in /usr/bin:
    Oh, quite possibly. I didn't care about that because I was using it for
    deployment, not for development.

    Note: those instructions were copied and pasted (pretty much) out of the
    install documentation I did for the last client site we deployed onto
    dreamhost. They definitely worked then :)

    --
    Matt S Trout Offering custom development, consultancy and support
    Technical Director contracts for Catalyst, DBIx::Class and BAST. Contact

groupcatalyst @
categoriescatalyst, perl
postedFeb 3, '06 at 7:26a
activeFeb 3, '06 at 2:52p
websitecatalystframework.org
irc#catalyst

2 users in discussion

Matt S Trout: 1 post Bill Moseley: 1 post