Hey guys - happy n.y and all that

I have been out of the loop for a while and remember reading about a way
to install catalyst in a non-root environment ie on a shared hosting
service.

Is this possible, what is the status of it? Is there a link to a howto
or something? Is it possible to do it without shell access? Ie, can I
just untar something and upload it via FTP?

TIA

Allen Bolderoff