seen the mysql log file but that encapsulates multiple updates.

Thanks Pep

Search Discussions

  • Jerry Kuch at Feb 28, 2012 at 7:47 pm
    Hi, Pep:

    Can you tell us a bit more what you're trying to do? I think
    the StackOverflow poster is hinting at perhaps a more messaging-based
    design for your application, rather than a quick drop-in hack to make
    some side effect beyond the RDBMS happen as a result of a MySQL trigger.

    Best regards,
    Jerry

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "PepMad" <pepmadon at gmail.com>
    To: rabbitmq-discuss at lists.rabbitmq.com
    Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 2:24:29 PM
    Subject: [rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ and MySQL

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1467369/invoking-a-php-script-from-a-mysql-trigger

    I was reading this post on Stack Overflow and the last suggestion was
    to use RabbitMQ. Is this possible? I read the documentation on
    RabbitMQ, how can a single mysql update be sent to a producer? I have
    seen the mysql log file but that encapsulates multiple updates.

    Thanks Pep
  • PepMad at Feb 28, 2012 at 9:16 pm
    Hi Jerry,

    A website that the user can submit a job, the job is a script on the
    server, the script takes an unknown length of time. I didn't want the
    user on the site to wait, I just wanted a return status that the job
    was sent to a que. I thought about using mysql udf's or a mysql script
    for polling an update table, then I found the StackOverflow post and I
    thought RabbitMQ might be a better solution for messaging a que via
    the site.

    Pep
  • Jerry Kuch at Feb 28, 2012 at 9:20 pm
    Hi, Pep:

    That very well might be. Your application would put together the
    specifics of the job, publish them as a message into RabbitMQ, after
    which some consumers which do the actual work of the job would dequeue
    those tasks and do the work behind the scenes, thus decoupling your
    users from having to wait on them.

    Check out the tutorials here:

    http://www.rabbitmq.com/getstarted.html

    For ideas on how you might incorporate such patterns into your app.
    It will likely work far better for you than scary database tricks. :-)

    You can also look at the book "RabbitMQ in Action" from Manning (now
    available as a preview eBook from Manning, print version due out
    very soon) for a thorough discussion of messaging and its use in some
    example application scenarios that are likely similar to what you have.