Hi,

just looking at the example for alternate exchanges here
http://www.rabbitmq.com/extensions.html

In this example, is the routing key of "" -- in
channel.queueBind("unrouted", "my-ae", ""); like the default in a switch
statement

Will Rabbit try to first deliver an unrouted message to the same rout on
the alternate exchange.

thanks,
-Steven
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/attachments/20120216/a8ef1103/attachment.htm>

Search Discussions

  • Emile Joubert at Feb 16, 2012 at 11:11 am
    Hi Steven,
    On 16/02/12 10:38, Steven Taylor wrote:
    Will Rabbit try to first deliver an unrouted message to the same rout on
    the alternate exchange.
    The routing logic will only fall back to the alternative exchange if the
    message could not be routed to any queue (or the message was marked as
    immediate and it cannot be delivered to any consumer). The message
    routing key(s) do not change during any of these routing attempts.

    -Emile
  • Steven Taylor at Feb 16, 2012 at 12:13 pm
    so the routing key of "" in the example is a catch-all?
    On 16 February 2012 11:11, Emile Joubert wrote:

    Hi Steven,
    On 16/02/12 10:38, Steven Taylor wrote:
    Will Rabbit try to first deliver an unrouted message to the same rout on
    the alternate exchange.
    The routing logic will only fall back to the alternative exchange if the
    message could not be routed to any queue (or the message was marked as
    immediate and it cannot be delivered to any consumer). The message
    routing key(s) do not change during any of these routing attempts.

    -Emile
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
    URL: <http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/attachments/20120216/bc4c1984/attachment.htm>
  • Emile Joubert at Feb 16, 2012 at 12:48 pm
    Hi Steve,
    On 16/02/12 12:13, Steven Taylor wrote:
    so the routing key of "" in the example is a catch-all?
    Sorry I misunderstood your question. The empty routing key has no
    special significance in the context of alternative exchanges. Fanout
    exchanges ignore the routing key so the it doesn't matter what value you
    supply.

    Messages that are sent to the "my-ae" exchange by whatever means
    (directly from a publisher or in its capacity as alternative exchange of
    "my-direct") will be routed to the "unrouted" queue, regardless of the
    message routing keys.


    -Emile
  • Steven Taylor at Feb 16, 2012 at 1:36 pm
    Hi Emile,

    I always use topic or direct exchanges. I was confused by that empty
    string routing key. thanks.

    So that means if the exchange is declared topic or direct, that the normal
    rules will apply.

    So I suppose the catch-all could be the last fan-out in the alternate
    exchange chain .

    -Steven
    On 16 February 2012 12:48, Emile Joubert wrote:

    Hi Steve,
    On 16/02/12 12:13, Steven Taylor wrote:
    so the routing key of "" in the example is a catch-all?
    Sorry I misunderstood your question. The empty routing key has no
    special significance in the context of alternative exchanges. Fanout
    exchanges ignore the routing key so the it doesn't matter what value you
    supply.

    Messages that are sent to the "my-ae" exchange by whatever means
    (directly from a publisher or in its capacity as alternative exchange of
    "my-direct") will be routed to the "unrouted" queue, regardless of the
    message routing keys.


    -Emile
    -------------- next part --------------
    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
    URL: <http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/attachments/20120216/9805be8a/attachment.htm>

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
grouprabbitmq-discuss @
categoriesrabbitmq
postedFeb 16, '12 at 10:38a
activeFeb 16, '12 at 1:36p
posts5
users2
websiterabbitmq.com
irc#rabbitmq

2 users in discussion

Steven Taylor: 3 posts Emile Joubert: 2 posts

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase