Hi,

Does there exist an openly accessible list of open issues in RabbitMQ (not
client libraries), classified by difficulty / severity?
Does there exist an architectural guide for developers? (I saw the comments
in source - they're very informative, but a still higher-level overview
would be even better)

I'd be interested in spending some of my free time trying to fix them -
both for helping RabbitMQ and for getting some experience with Erlang :)

--
Eugene Kirpichov
Principal Engineer, Mirantis Inc. http://www.mirantis.com/

Search Discussions

  • Alvaro Videla at Nov 24, 2011 at 10:44 am
    Hi,

    I wrote a couple of docs some months ago and you can find them here:
    https://github.com/videlalvaro/rabbit-internals

    Feel free to fix them/expand them but I'm not sure if they will help much.

    Regarding the msg_store and the msg_index the modules there have a lot of
    docs in the source code itself.

    Then take a look at the .hrl files, specially those that define Erlang
    behaviours? those have a lot of docs on what each function should
    implement. I always open the behaviour definitions and then grep for
    modules implementing them and start from there.

    Then on the rabbit_types.erl you can get a lot of insights since you can
    see what a "binding_destination" is for example. You can see what the
    record structures are and so on.

    Read the module proper/quickcheck specs. Those can give you some info about
    the expected behavior.

    For exchanges I would just read other plugin exchanges. Notably those
    written by Matthew like the consistent hashing exchange. I think the
    implementation of the topic exchange is quite interesting too.

    Regarding Erlang/OTP itself keep in mind that RabbitMQ uses its of
    gen_server2 module. There might be other custom modules too that improve on
    OTP itself.

    I hope this helps,

    Alvaro
    Does there exist an openly accessible list of open issues in RabbitMQ (not
    client libraries), classified by difficulty / severity?
    Does there exist an architectural guide for developers? (I saw the
    comments in source - they're very informative, but a still higher-level
    overview would be even better)

    I'd be interested in spending some of my free time trying to fix them -
    both for helping RabbitMQ and for getting some experience with Erlang :)

    --
    Eugene Kirpichov
    Principal Engineer, Mirantis Inc. http://www.mirantis.com/
    Editor, http://fprog.ru/

    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
  • Eugene Kirpichov at Nov 24, 2011 at 11:02 am
    Thanks, this will definitely help! (though I do not promise that I'll start
    doing something immediately)

    What about the list of open issues? I found an email from 2009 that there
    is no public bugtracker, but maybe did one appear?..