I have successfully implemented a messaging system using one of the
PHP clients that I found on the web. I am currently working on a Perl
counterpart that can send and receive messages to/from the same
system.

The problem that I am running into is that I was successfully able to
use the properties.headers to store some key/value information about
my message in the PHP client, but I have yet to find a Perl client
that actually supports or uses these headers. Am I missing something
or does nobody actually use these headers in Perl?

Thanks,

Tom

Search Discussions

  • David Wragg at Dec 21, 2010 at 7:41 pm
    Hi Tom,

    vickerto <vickerto at gmail.com> writes:
    I have successfully implemented a messaging system using one of the
    PHP clients that I found on the web. I am currently working on a Perl
    counterpart that can send and receive messages to/from the same
    system.

    The problem that I am running into is that I was successfully able to
    use the properties.headers to store some key/value information about
    my message in the PHP client, but I have yet to find a Perl client
    that actually supports or uses these headers. Am I missing something
    or does nobody actually use these headers in Perl?
    Not all AMQP applications use the message headers, so it's plausible
    that no-one has yet bothered to add support to the Perl clients. Though
    it would be a fairly significant omission, given that the headers are
    (potentially) a part of every AMQP message. I'm not aware of other
    clients that take this short cut.

    David

    --
    David Wragg
    Staff Engineer, RabbitMQ

[...]

  • Emile Joubert at Dec 21, 2010 at 8:47 pm
    Hi vickerto,

    I can confirm that POE::Component::Client::AMQP (by Eric Waters) lets
    you set headers. This works for me:

    $queue->publish($msg,
    {
    headers => { 'key' => 'value'}
    }
    );

    Regards

    Emile

    Op 21/12/2010 20:11, het vickerto geskryf:
    From what I've seen, most of them just set the headers to an empty
[...]

  • Vickerto at Dec 21, 2010 at 8:51 pm
    Awesome, thanks! I'll take a look.

    I can confirm that POE::Component::Client::AMQP (by Eric Waters) lets
    you set headers. This works for me:

    ? ? ?$queue->publish($msg,
    ? ? ? ?{
    ? ? ? ? ?headers => { 'key' => 'value'}
    ? ? ? ?}
    ? ? ?);

    Regards

    Emile

    Op 21/12/2010 20:11, het vickerto geskryf:
    ?From what I've seen, most of them just set the headers to an empty
[...]
  • Christian Legnitto at Dec 22, 2010 at 12:24 am
    Net::RabbitFoot lets you set the headers as well. Take a look at how I do it @ https://github.com/LegNeato/bugzilla-push/blob/master/Push/lib/Backend/AMQP.pm#L127 (though I am not sure I actually pass any headers anywhere for that backend).

    The code in RabbitFoot is @ https://github.com/cooldaemon/RabbitFoot/blob/master/lib/AnyEvent/RabbitMQ/Channel.pm#L275

    Thanks,
    Christian

    I can confirm that POE::Component::Client::AMQP (by Eric Waters) lets
    you set headers. This works for me:

    $queue->publish($msg,
    {
    headers => { 'key' => 'value'}
    }
    );

    Regards

    Emile

    Op 21/12/2010 20:11, het vickerto geskryf:
    From what I've seen, most of them just set the headers to an empty
[...]
  • Vickerto at Dec 22, 2010 at 4:01 pm
    Thanks for the reply. I started taking a look at Net::RabbitFoot a
    couple of days ago. The only issue with it and with
    POE::Component::Client::AMQP is that both have a ton of dependencies.
    I'm trying to find something as lightweight as possible. I'll keep
    plugging away. Thanks!

    Tom

    Net::RabbitFoot lets you set the headers as well. Take a look at how I do it @https://github.com/LegNeato/bugzilla-push/blob/master/Push/lib/Backen...(though I am not sure I actually pass any headers anywhere for that backend).

[...]

  • Vickerto at Dec 22, 2010 at 7:33 pm
    I tried getting it from CPAN and there were tons of packages that it
    wanted to install. I'm working on a box that has very few packages
    installed on it and we are trying to keep it that way. I'll look at
    it again. Thanks.

    Net::RabbitFoot lets you set the headers as well. Take a look at how I do it @https://github.com/LegNeato/bugzilla-push/blob/master/Push/lib/Backen...I am not sure I actually pass any headers anywhere for that backend).
[...]
  • Vickerto at Dec 22, 2010 at 7:55 pm
    I just looked through RabbitFoot again and it appears that, just like
    Net::RabbitMQ, you can't actually set the 'headers' property of the
    message headers. Looking at the code that it uses to create the
    header:

    sub _header {
    my ($self, $args, $body,) = @_;

    $self->{connection}->_push_write(
    Net::AMQP::Frame::Header->new(
    weight => $args->{weight} || 0,
    body_size => length($body),
    header_frame => Net::AMQP::Protocol::Basic::ContentHeader-
    new(
    content_type => 'application/octet-stream',
    content_encoding => '',
    headers => {},
    delivery_mode => 1,
    priority => 1,
    correlation_id => '',
    expiration => '',
    message_id => '',
    timestamp => time,
    type => '',
    user_id => '',
    app_id => '',
    cluster_id => '',
    %$args,
    ),
    ),
    $self->{id},
    );

    return $self;
    }

    The 'headers => {}' is the problem. I need to be able to set this to
    my own key/value array, but none of the clients that I have found
    actually allow for this. I can modify it to accept a new argument,
    but I was hoping to find a client that I could use out of the box.