Hello,

I noticed that the latest version of RabbitMQ Server in the MacPorts
repo is version 1.3.0, so I've created a MacPort for RabbitMQ Server
1.5.3. I thought I would share it with this list. The MacPort is
available here:

http://www.samsarin.com/blog/files/uploads/2009/02/rabbitmq-server-macport-1.5.3.tar.gz

I hope this will be of help to the community. If there is interest
from the RabbitMQ team I would be happy to submit it to the MacPorts
repository.

INSTALL

1. If you don't have a local MacPorts repo, set this up first [1].
2. Extract rabbitmq-1.5.3-macport.tar.gz to the root of your local
MacPorts repo (it will extract files to ./net/rabbitmq-server).
3. Run portindex in the root of your local MacPorts repo
4. Run: sudo port install rabbitmq-server

RUNNING

To start the server, you can either use launchctl (see instructions
emitted during MacPort install) or you can start it from the command
line with: sudo -H -u rabbitmq rabbitmq-server

rabbitmqctl automatically (through sudo) runs in the context of the
rabbitmq user so that the Erlang cookie can be read from
$MACPORTS_PREFIX/var/lib/rabbitmq/.erlang.cookie

NOTES

* The MacPort uses the install target to build and install the package
into the destroot. Hardcoded paths in the shell scripts are modified
to use the MacPort filesystem.
* I followed tonyg's approach of running the server under the
"rabbitmq" user. Unfortunately, the adduser command sets the shell for
the rabbitmq user to /dev/null, so using su was not working. I
switched this to use sudo -H -u rabbitmq, which does work in my
environment.
* When tonyg submitted the original MacPort he commented that calling
launchctl stop on the server would cause the process to exit and
restart. This appears to be the default behavior for launchd -
unloading it stops the reload process. I suspect setting KeepAlive to
false will have the same effect. In any case, I left it to restart
automatically, but I'm open to suggestions on the behavior.

FOOTNOTES

[1]: http://guide.macports.org/#development.local-repositories

- Chris

Search Discussions

  • Tony Garnock-Jones at Feb 27, 2009 at 5:44 pm
    Hi Chris,

    Thanks so much for picking this up. I'd been meaning to get around to it
    for far too long now.

    Chris Pettitt wrote:
    I hope this will be of help to the community. If there is interest
    from the RabbitMQ team I would be happy to submit it to the MacPorts
    repository.
    Absolutely. I've just checked it in, and as luck would have it, I have
    my mac with me today, so I'm about to try it out.
    To start the server, you can either use launchctl (see instructions
    emitted during MacPort install) or you can start it from the command
    line with: sudo -H -u rabbitmq rabbitmq-server

    rabbitmqctl automatically (through sudo) runs in the context of the
    rabbitmq user so that the Erlang cookie can be read from
    $MACPORTS_PREFIX/var/lib/rabbitmq/.erlang.cookie
    This is good stuff. We'll have to update our website with this information.
    * When tonyg submitted the original MacPort he commented that calling
    launchctl stop on the server would cause the process to exit and
    restart. This appears to be the default behavior for launchd -
    unloading it stops the reload process. I suspect setting KeepAlive to
    false will have the same effect. In any case, I left it to restart
    automatically, but I'm open to suggestions on the behavior.
    Excellent! Thanks very much, I'm glad someone who understands this took
    a look. I have no opinion on the matter -- I just want it to do
    whatever's most correct for the platform.

    Regards,
    Tony
    --
    [][][] Tony Garnock-Jones | Mob: +44 (0)7905 974 211
    [][] LShift Ltd | Tel: +44 (0)20 7729 7060
    [] [] http://www.lshift.net/ | Email: tonyg at lshift.net
  • Tony Garnock-Jones at Feb 27, 2009 at 6:13 pm

    Chris Pettitt wrote:
    http://www.samsarin.com/blog/files/uploads/2009/02/rabbitmq-server-macport-1.5.3.tar.gz
    That worked perfectly.
    I hope this will be of help to the community. If there is interest
    from the RabbitMQ team I would be happy to submit it to the MacPorts
    repository.
    Yes please, that'd be great. Ah, I've just seen the ticket --
    https://trac.macports.org/ticket/18665 -- and CCed myself. Thanks.

    Regards,
    Tony

grouprabbitmq-discuss @