Hi, I found something pretty interesting when trying to run any kind
of AMQP client under Max OS X. I tried with java, python and ruby
clients and none of them were working.

Suspecting it could be my Rabbitmq or Erlang installs I tried
different setups:

* Erlang from source and macports
* Rabbitmq from source, tarball and macports

Same result with any combination.

With the help of tmm1 (AMQP client ruby gem creator) we discovered
that in line 67 of rabbitmq-server:

-os_mon start_cpu_sup true \

Changing start_cpu_sup to false:

-os_mon start_cpu_sup false \

made everything to work.

Now my Rabbitmq broker is running pretty nice.

Since I'm a newbie in these Erlang topics I wanted to share this info
and would like to know if someone expert at this subject could
identify an incompatibility in my machine's hardware since I already
found out that this cpu_sup thing is related to the processor (http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/cpu_sup.html
).

FWIW, I have a white macbook with a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo (T8300).

Thanks a lot!

Andres.

Search Discussions

  • Andres Rodriguez at Nov 24, 2008 at 3:57 am
    Additional info, Rabbitmq logs:

    =CRASH REPORT==== 19-Nov-2008::17:31:58 ===
    crasher:
    pid: <0.217.0>
    registered_name: []
    exception error: bad argument in an arithmetic expression
    in function rabbit_load:pick/0
    in call from rabbit_reader:compute_redirects/1
    in call from rabbit_reader:handle_method0/2
    in call from rabbit_reader:handle_method0/3
    in call from rabbit_reader:handle_input/3
    in call from rabbit_reader:mainloop/3
    in call from rabbit_reader:start_connection/3
    initial call: rabbit_reader:init(<0.185.0>)
    ancestors: [rabbit_tcp_client_sup,rabbit_sup,<0.81.0>]
    messages: []
    links: [#Port<0.277>,<0.185.0>]
    dictionary: []
    trap_exit: true
    status: running
    heap_size: 987
    stack_size: 23
    reductions: 706
    neighbours:

    =SUPERVISOR REPORT==== 19-Nov-2008::17:31:58 ===
    Supervisor: {local,rabbit_tcp_client_sup}
    Context: child_terminated
    Reason: badarith
    Offender: [{pid,<0.217.0>},
    {name,tcp_client},
    {mfa,{rabbit_reader,start_link,[]}},
    {restart_type,temporary},
    {shutdown,brutal_kill},
    {child_type,worker}]

    =INFO REPORT==== 19-Nov-2008::17:28:01 ===
    accepted TCP connection on 0.0.0.0:5672 from 127.0.0.1:56603

    =INFO REPORT==== 19-Nov-2008::17:28:01 ===
    starting TCP connection <0.212.0> from 127.0.0.1:56603

    =ERROR REPORT==== 19-Nov-2008::17:28:01 ===
    Error in process <0.195.0> on node 'rabbit at andres-rodriguezs-macbook'
    with exit value: {{badmatch,{error,{fread,float}}},
    [{cpu_sup,get_uint32_measurement,2},{cpu_sup,measurement_server_loop,
    1}]}

    =INFO REPORT==== 19-Nov-2008::17:28:06 ===
    closing TCP connection <0.212.0> from 127.0.0.1:56603

[...]

  • Ben Hood at Nov 24, 2008 at 6:39 am
    Andres,
    Error in process <0.195.0> on node 'rabbit at andres-rodriguezs-macbook'
    with exit value: {{badmatch,{error,{fread,float}}},
    [{cpu_sup,get_uint32_measurement,2},{cpu_sup,measurement_server_loop,
    1}]}
    What locale are you using?

    This looks like the same error I reported to the Erlang list a while
    back: http://www.erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2008-May/034794.html

    The upshot of the discussion is that Ericsson decided that it probably
    wasn't worth fixing.

    HTH,

    Ben
  • Ben Hood at Nov 24, 2008 at 6:51 am