Using R 3.0.1 on a Mac OS X 10.8.3 I have been unable to load the package
Rcmdr.

I am not a regular Mac user, but I need to be able to help my students who
have Macs install R and Rcmdr to use it in my Intro Stats class. To that
end, this week I have been working on a Mac from our loaner pool. I have
been able to successfully install Rcmdr on Macs of all OS X types with
previous versions of R, so this is a new problem for me.

Note that before attempting to install or load Rcmdr I installed XQuartz
and I can plot to a graphics window without any problems so I assume it is
working properly.

Following the directions on
http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/installation-notes.html I have
been able to install the Rcmdr package without apparent problems. But when
I attempt to load the Rcmdr package, either with the Package Manager or by
typing
library(Rcmdr)
I get the following error messages:

Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'tcltk', details:
   call: dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...)
   error: unable to load shared object
'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.0/Resources/library/tcltk/libs/tcltk.so':

dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.0/Resources/library/tcltk/libs/tcltk.so,
10): Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libtcl8.6.dylib
   Referenced from:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.0/Resources/library/tcltk/libs/tcltk.so
   Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
  /usr/local/lib/libtcl8.6.dylib: stat() failed with errno=13
/usr/local/lib/libtcl8.6.dylib: stat() failed with errno=13
Error: package or namespace load failed for �Rcmdr�

  It looks to me like Rcmdr is attempting to load a tcltk CRAN package
which no longer exists with R 3.0.1 (which is now bundled with Tck/Tk 8.6.0).
  One of the many things I have tried is installing
tcltk-8.5.5-x11.pkg<http://cran.cnr.berkeley.edu/bin/macosx/tools/tcltk-8.5.5-x11.pkg>,
but, as warned, that did not work. I have contacted the Rcmdr package
author who suggested that I uninstall R (which was an adventure in and of
itself) and reinstall it, but I had the same exact problems. He also
suggested that I seek help on the R Mac OS X help list and so here I am. I
am hoping someone can point me toward a solution as the start of the
semester is nearly upon us.

Thank you,
Sarah Hardy

--

Sarah Hardy, PhD
Associate Professor of Mathematics

Search Discussions

  • Simon Urbanek at Aug 22, 2013 at 12:28 am
    Sarah,

    errno is "permission denied" so it seems like your system's access control is somewhat misconfigured. Did you try "Repair Disk Permissions" in "Disk Utility"?

    If that doesn't help please send us the output of the following R command:

    system("ls -ld /usr/local /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libtcl*")

    Thanks,
    Simon

[...]

    [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

  • Sarah Hardy at Aug 22, 2013 at 1:32 am
    Dear Simon,
    Did you try "Repair Disk Permissions" in "Disk Utility"?
    Not previously, but I just did and some things were repaired. Then I
    installed Rcmdr again (but didn't reinstall R 3.0.1), but got the same
    results.

    Here is the output you asked for:
    system("ls -ld /usr/local /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libtcl*")
    ls: /usr/local/lib/libtcl*: Permission denied
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root wheel 238 Aug 19 16:44 /usr/local
    drwx------ 31 macports wheel 1054 Aug 21 16:08 /usr/local/lib

    I also went back to the Disk Utility and selected "Verify Disk
    Permissions". It said:

    Permissions differ on "usr/sbin/pppd"; should be -r-xr-xr-x ; they are
    -r-sr-xr-x .
    Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be
    repaired.

    This Mac is from our loaner pool and was used for one year by professor who
    just retired. He did teach a technology education course so I'm not sure
    what kind of things he might have played around with.

    Thank you for your assistance,
    Sarah

    On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 8:28 PM, Simon Urbanek
    errno=13 is "permission denied" so it seems like your system's access
[...]

    Link to Schedule: http://faculty.umf.maine.edu/~hardys/SHardyCalendar.html

    sarah.hardy@maine.edu
  • Simon Urbanek at Aug 22, 2013 at 3:22 am
    Sarah,

    Did you try "Repair Disk Permissions" in "Disk Utility"?
    Not previously, but I just did and some things were repaired. Then I installed Rcmdr again (but didn't reinstall R 3.0.1), but got the same results.

    Here is the output you asked for:
    system("ls -ld /usr/local /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/libtcl*")
    ls: /usr/local/lib/libtcl*: Permission denied
    drwxr-xr-x 7 root wheel 238 Aug 19 16:44 /usr/local
    drwx------ 31 macports wheel 1054 Aug 21 16:08 /usr/local/lib

    Ah, I see, MacPorts has messed up your system (why am I not surprised ;)).

    If you don't use MacPorts yourself (it causes more headaches than good IMHO) I would suggest blowing away /usr/local and re-installing R. If you don't want to resort to such drastic measures, you can try changing the permissions with something like (in Terminal, not R):

    sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/*

    That will fix your immediate problem, but MacPorts may have messed with other places as well.

    Cheers,
    Simon

    sarah.hardy at maine.edu
  • Sarah Hardy at Aug 22, 2013 at 4:00 am
    Changing the permissions using the Terminal.app in Utilities to

    sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/*

    worked!

    Thank you Simon!

    Sarah