Grokbase Groups R r-help October 2004
hi,

after

m=locfit(y~x,..........., family=binomial)
plot(m,band="local") gives me a plot of locfit's result with a confidence
interval around it. i would like to get the actual values that are being
used to plot the lines in this figure.

i tried using predict, but the standard error it returns when i supply the
se=T argument, appears not to be the same as the CI produced by plot (it is
much larger...in my one case). i have tried all the different type=".."
options, but none of them matches the CI produced by plot.

i only recently started using both R and local regression methods and am
still feeling my way around, so even though I have gone through the FAQs
and the online manuals and the archives of this group and the Loader book,
I have been unable to make much progress. any help would be very appreciated !!

thanks, suresh

Search Discussions

  • Prof Brian Ripley at Oct 12, 2004 at 5:30 pm
    Why not use predict(se=TRUE, band="local")? That's what plot.locfit does,
    via preplot.locfit.

    I'm afraid the only real way to answer questions like this is to read the
    sources.
    m=locfit(y~x,..........., family=binomial)
    plot(m,band="local") gives me a plot of locfit's result with a confidence
    interval around it. i would like to get the actual values that are being
    used to plot the lines in this figure.

    i tried using predict, but the standard error it returns when i supply the
    se=T argument, appears not to be the same as the CI produced by plot (it is
    much larger...in my one case). i have tried all the different type=".."
    options, but none of them matches the CI produced by plot.

    i only recently started using both R and local regression methods and am
    still feeling my way around, so even though I have gone through the FAQs
    and the online manuals and the archives of this group and the Loader book,
    I have been unable to make much progress. any help would be very appreciated !!

    thanks, suresh

    University of Oxford, Tel: +44 1865 272861 (self)
    1 South Parks Road, +44 1865 272866 (PA)
    Oxford OX1 3TG, UK Fax: +44 1865 272595

groupr-help @
categoriesr
postedOct 12, '04 at 5:01p