Grokbase Groups R r-devel March 2012

I wonder if this is a feature or a bug:
isGeneric("&&")
Error in genericForPrimitive(f) :
methods may not be defined for primitive function ?&&? in this
version of R
isGeneric(":")
Error in genericForPrimitive(f) :
methods may not be defined for primitive function ?:? in this
version of R

According to the man page:

?isGeneric?: Is there a function named ?f?, and if so, is it a
generic?

So it sounds like it should be a YES or NO answer.

In any case the error message is confusing: it suggests that I'm trying
to define methods for "&&", but I'm not.

This is with R 2.13, R 2.14 and R 2.15.0 alpha.

Thanks,
H.

--
Herv? Pag?s

Program in Computational Biology
Division of Public Health Sciences
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
1100 Fairview Ave. N, M1-B514
P.O. Box 19024
Seattle, WA 98109-1024

E-mail: hpages at fhcrc.org
Phone: (206) 667-5791
Fax: (206) 667-1319

Search Discussions

  • John Chambers at Mar 8, 2012 at 11:41 pm
    Bug. Should be fixed (rev 58642) in r-devel and R 2.15.0 alpha.

    Thanks.
    methods may not be defined for primitive function ?&&? in this
    version of R
    isGeneric(":")
    Error in genericForPrimitive(f) :
    methods may not be defined for primitive function ?:? in this
    version of R

    According to the man page:

    ?isGeneric?: Is there a function named ?f?, and if so, is it a
    generic?

    So it sounds like it should be a YES or NO answer.

    In any case the error message is confusing: it suggests that I'm trying
    to define methods for "&&", but I'm not.

    This is with R 2.13, R 2.14 and R 2.15.0 alpha.

    Thanks,
    H.
  • Hervé Pagès at Mar 9, 2012 at 5:31 am

    Bug. Should be fixed (rev 58642) in r-devel and R 2.15.0 alpha.
    Thank you.

    H.
    Thanks.

    E-mail: hpages at fhcrc.org
    Phone: (206) 667-5791
    Fax: (206) 667-1319

groupr-devel @
categoriesr
postedMar 7, '12 at 11:30p
activeMar 9, '12 at 5:31a
websiter-project.org
irc#r

2 users in discussion

Hervé Pagès: 2 posts John Chambers: 1 post