A few weeks ago I reported a problem with model.frame, whose root lay
in a formula expression "....+ ratetable(x1=x1, x2=x2, ....x100=x100)"
that was really long and caused model.frame to fail. Brian had some
indefinite ideas on what might need to change in the base code to handle
it.

In survival_2.36-1 the bit of code that generated the offending
expression has been changed (mostly for other reasons). The problem
case in question no longer is generated. If fixing this issue was on
anyone's list of things to do, feel free to drop the priority to zero.
(You could still generate this with just exactly the right call to
pyears, but I'll be boarding up that final door in 2.36-2.)

Terry Therneau

Search Discussions

  • Prof Brian Ripley at Nov 3, 2010 at 8:38 pm
    It is already fixed, in three steps:

    R-2.12.0:

    ? model.frame had an unstated 500 byte limit on variable names.
    (Example reported by Terry Therneau.)

    R-patched:

    ? The data.frame method of format failed if a column name was
    longer than 256 bytes (the maximum length allowed for an R name).

    R-devel:

    ? The previously almost undocumented limit of 256 bytes on a symbol
    name has been raised to 10,000 bytes (a sanity check). Long
    symbol names can sometimes occur when deparsing expressions (for
    example, in model.frame).

    Brian D. Ripley, ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
    Professor of Applied Statistics, http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~ripley/
    University of Oxford, Tel: +44 1865 272861 (self)
    1 South Parks Road, +44 1865 272866 (PA)
    Oxford OX1 3TG, UK Fax: +44 1865 272595

groupr-devel @
categoriesr
postedNov 3, '10 at 8:31p