Full_Name: Karl Ove Hufthammer
Version: 2.10.0
OS: Windows XP
Submission from: (NULL) (93.124.134.66)

I have found a rather strange bug in R 2.10.0 on Windows, where the choice of
characters used in a string make R crash (i.e., Windows shows a dialogue saying
that the application has a problem, and must be closed).

I can reproduce the bug on two separate systems running Windows XP, and with
both R 2.10.0 and the latest R.2.10.1 RC.

The following commands trigger the crash for me:

n5
x=sample(k,n,replace=TRUE)
y=sample(k,n,replace=TRUE)
xy=paste(x,y,sep=" ? ")
z=sample(n)
dÚta.frame(xy,z)

The last step takes very long time, and R crashes before it's finished. Note
that if I reduce n, the problem disappears. Also, if I change the ? (a
multiplication symbol) to a x (a letter), the problem also disappears (and the
last command takes almost no time to run).

I originally discovered this (or a related?) bug while using 'unique' on a data
frame similar to the 'd' data frame defined above, where R would often, but not
always, crash.
sessionInfo()
R version 2.10.0 (2009-10-26)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=Norwegian-Nynorsk_Norway.1252
[2] LC_CTYPE=Norwegian-Nynorsk_Norway.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=Norwegian-Nynorsk_Norway.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=Norwegian-Nynorsk_Norway.1252

attached base packages:
[1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base

Search Discussions

  • Karl Ove Hufthammer at Dec 11, 2009 at 11:36 am