I was trying to subscribe to an RSS feed from
<http://developer.r-project.org/RSSfeeds.html> but IE chokes on DTDs and
Firefox also has trouble with this feed. (I'm not sure if it has trouble
with DTDs in general.)

I went to one of our web developers to see what I should use to read the
feed, and he pointed out that the mix of RSS 2.00 and rss-0.91 looks
like a mistake:

<!-- name="generator" content="blosxom/2.0" -->
<!DOCTYPE rss PUBLIC "-//Netscape Communications//DTD RSS 2.00//EN"
"http://www.rssboard.org/rss-0.91.dtd">

and that DTDs are a little bit unusual in RSS feeds (but said it is not
impossible). I'm a complete novice in this, just pointing it out in case
it is a bug.

Paul

La version fran?aise suit le texte anglais.

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank of
Canada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying of this
unauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it immediately from

Le pr?sent courriel peut contenir de l'information privil?gi?e ou confidentielle.
La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion,
personne autre que le ou les destinataires d?sign?s est interdite. Si vous recevez
ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le supprimer imm?diatement et envoyer sans d?lai ?
l'exp?diteur un message ?lectronique pour l'aviser que vous avez ?limin? de votre
ordinateur toute copie du courriel re?u.

Search Discussions

  • Duncan Murdoch at Oct 15, 2009 at 7:15 pm

    I was trying to subscribe to an RSS feed from
    <http://developer.r-project.org/RSSfeeds.html> but IE chokes on DTDs and
    Firefox also has trouble with this feed. (I'm not sure if it has trouble
    with DTDs in general.)

    I went to one of our web developers to see what I should use to read the
    feed, and he pointed out that the mix of RSS 2.00 and rss-0.91 looks
    like a mistake:

    <!-- name="generator" content="blosxom/2.0" -->
    <!DOCTYPE rss PUBLIC "-//Netscape Communications//DTD RSS 2.00//EN"
    "http://www.rssboard.org/rss-0.91.dtd">

    and that DTDs are a little bit unusual in RSS feeds (but said it is not
    impossible). I'm a complete novice in this, just pointing it out in case
    it is a bug.
    I agree it's a bug, but I'm also a novice here (even though I set up the
    feed!)

    If your web developer (or anyone else on this list) can suggest what the
    header should look like, I'll fix it.

    Duncan Murdoch
    Paul

    La version fran?aise suit le texte anglais.

    This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank of
    Canada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying of this
    unauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it immediately from

    Le pr?sent courriel peut contenir de l'information privil?gi?e ou confidentielle.
    La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion,
    personne autre que le ou les destinataires d?sign?s est interdite. Si vous recevez
    ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le supprimer imm?diatement et envoyer sans d?lai ?
    l'exp?diteur un message ?lectronique pour l'aviser que vous avez ?limin? de votre
    ordinateur toute copie du courriel re?u.
  • Yihui Xie at Oct 15, 2009 at 8:31 pm
    I do not think the problem was caused by DTD. I checked the content of
    the RSS feed and found there were several places containing characters
    that were not converted to HTML entities (e.g. "&" should be "&amp;"),
    or opening tags without corresponding closing tags (e.g. <LI> without
    </LI>, a typical problem I found, at least in
    http://developer.r-project.org/blosxom.cgi/R-devel/NEWS/index.rss).

    These problems will make the browsers choke but I also find Google
    Reader does not mind at all -- you can still read the RSS messages
    normally there. I'm not sure how other RSS readers deal with those
    non-standard HTML content.

    Regards,
    Yihui
    --
    Yihui Xie <xieyihui@gmail.com>
    Phone: 515-294-6609 Web: http://yihui.name

[...]

  • Duncan Murdoch at Oct 15, 2009 at 9:41 pm

    I do not think the problem was caused by DTD. I checked the content of
    the RSS feed and found there were several places containing characters
    that were not converted to HTML entities (e.g. "&" should be "&amp;"),
    or opening tags without corresponding closing tags (e.g. <LI> without
    </LI>, a typical problem I found, at least in
    http://developer.r-project.org/blosxom.cgi/R-devel/NEWS/index.rss).
    Thanks, will fix those.

    Duncan Murdoch
[...]

  • Yihui Xie at Oct 16, 2009 at 2:12 am
    I guess this package might be of help:
    http://www.omegahat.org/RTidyHTML/ (by the other Duncan :-)

    Regards,
    Yihui
    --
    Yihui Xie <xieyihui@gmail.com>
    Phone: 515-294-6609 Web: http://yihui.name
    3211 Snedecor Hall, Ames, IA

    I do not think the problem was caused by DTD. I checked the content of
    the RSS feed and found there were several places containing characters
    that were not converted to HTML entities (e.g. "&" should be "&amp;"),
    or opening tags without corresponding closing tags (e.g. <LI> without
    </LI>, a typical problem I found, at least in
    http://developer.r-project.org/blosxom.cgi/R-devel/NEWS/index.rss).
    Thanks, will fix those.

    Duncan Murdoch

groupr-devel @