Full_Name: John Jorgensen
Version: 2.4.0
OS: Solaris 9
Submission from: (NULL) (142.3.169.170)

This is not a serious problem, but while trying to understand some difficulties
that R had finding our copy of mozilla, I noticed that the browseURL() function
defined in help.start.R includes the lines:

system(paste(browser, remoteCmd, "2>&1 >/dev/null ||",
browser, quotedUrl, "&"))

I assume the intent is to hide the "No running window found" or equivalent
message that the remoteCmd might print before trying to start a new instance of
the browser. On the shells I've tried, though, you need to reverse the order
of the redirections to achieve this, i.e.: ">dev/null 2>&1" instead of "2>&1
/dev/null".
Apologies if I've misunderstood your intent, or if there are other shells where
you need the order you've used.

Search Discussions

  • Martin Maechler at Jan 13, 2007 at 1:02 pm

    "jorgnsn" == jorgnsn <jorgnsn@lcd.uregina.ca>