Grokbase Groups R r-devel August 2005
Can someone confirm the following as a problem:

R> setClass("Foo", representation(.handle = "externalptr"))
R> object.size(new("Foo"))
Error in object.size(new("Foo")) : object.size: unknown type 22
R> R.version.string
[1] "R version 2.1.1, 2005-06-20"

R-2.1.1/src/include/Rinternals.h
#define EXTPTRSXP 22 /* external pointer */

R-2.1.1/src/main/size.c:
objectsize(SEXP s) has no case for external pointers

  • Martin Maechler at Aug 5, 2005 at 12:21 pm

    "Paul" == Paul Roebuck <roebuck@odin.mdacc.tmc.edu>
    on Thu, 4 Aug 2005 00:29:03 -0500 (CDT) writes:
    Paul> Can someone confirm the following as a problem:

    Yes, I can. No promiss for a fix in the very near future
    though.

    Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich
    Can someone confirm the following as a problem:

    R> setClass("Foo", representation(.handle = "externalptr"))
    R> object.size(new("Foo"))
    Error in object.size(new("Foo")) : object.size: unknown type 22
    R> R.version.string
    [1] "R version 2.1.1, 2005-06-20"

    R-2.1.1/src/include/Rinternals.h
    #define EXTPTRSXP 22 /* external pointer */

    R-2.1.1/src/main/size.c:
    objectsize(SEXP s) has no case for external pointers
  • Roger D. Peng at Aug 5, 2005 at 12:39 pm
    Would it make sense for 'object.size()' to do the same thing for
    external pointers as it does for environments?

    -roger

    Martin Maechler wrote:
    "Paul" == Paul Roebuck <roebuck@odin.mdacc.tmc.edu>
    on Thu, 4 Aug 2005 00:29:03 -0500 (CDT) writes:

    Paul> Can someone confirm the following as a problem:

    Yes, I can. No promiss for a fix in the very near future
    though.

    Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

    Can someone confirm the following as a problem:

    R> setClass("Foo", representation(.handle = "externalptr"))
    R> object.size(new("Foo"))
    Error in object.size(new("Foo")) : object.size: unknown type 22
    R> R.version.string
    [1] "R version 2.1.1, 2005-06-20"

    R-2.1.1/src/include/Rinternals.h
    #define EXTPTRSXP 22 /* external pointer */

    R-2.1.1/src/main/size.c:
    objectsize(SEXP s) has no case for external pointers

    Roger D. Peng
    http://www.biostat.jhsph.edu/~rpeng/
  • Duncan Murdoch at Aug 5, 2005 at 12:53 pm

    On 8/5/2005 8:39 AM, Roger D. Peng wrote:
    Would it make sense for 'object.size()' to do the same thing for
    external pointers as it does for environments?
    I would think so. For those who haven't looked, this returns the size
    of the SEXP for the environment and its attributes, but does not attempt
    to work out the size of the contents of the environment. This makes
    sense, because environments are references. External pointers are also
    references, so their object size should be the size of the pointer
    (which is probably 28 bytes; R pointers carry a lot of baggage!), with
    no attempt to say anything about the external thing they point to.

    Duncan Murdoch

    -roger

    Martin Maechler wrote:
    "Paul" == Paul Roebuck <roebuck@odin.mdacc.tmc.edu>
    on Thu, 4 Aug 2005 00:29:03 -0500 (CDT) writes:

    Paul> Can someone confirm the following as a problem:

    Yes, I can. No promiss for a fix in the very near future
    though.

    Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

    Can someone confirm the following as a problem:

    R> setClass("Foo", representation(.handle = "externalptr"))
    R> object.size(new("Foo"))
    Error in object.size(new("Foo")) : object.size: unknown type 22
    R> R.version.string
    [1] "R version 2.1.1, 2005-06-20"

    R-2.1.1/src/include/Rinternals.h
    #define EXTPTRSXP 22 /* external pointer */

    R-2.1.1/src/main/size.c:
    objectsize(SEXP s) has no case for external pointers

  • Prof Brian Ripley at Aug 5, 2005 at 1:46 pm

    On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
    On 8/5/2005 8:39 AM, Roger D. Peng wrote:
    Would it make sense for 'object.size()' to do the same thing for
    external pointers as it does for environments?
    I would think so. For those who haven't looked, this returns the size
    of the SEXP for the environment and its attributes, but does not attempt
    to work out the size of the contents of the environment. This makes
    sense, because environments are references. External pointers are also
    references, so their object size should be the size of the pointer
    (which is probably 28 bytes; R pointers carry a lot of baggage!), with
    no attempt to say anything about the external thing they point to.
    I think it might also make sense for the code to warn this had been done.
    Duncan Murdoch

    -roger

    Martin Maechler wrote:
    "Paul" == Paul Roebuck <roebuck@odin.mdacc.tmc.edu>
    on Thu, 4 Aug 2005 00:29:03 -0500 (CDT) writes:

    Paul> Can someone confirm the following as a problem:

    Yes, I can. No promiss for a fix in the very near future
    though.

    Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

    Can someone confirm the following as a problem:

    R> setClass("Foo", representation(.handle = "externalptr"))
    R> object.size(new("Foo"))
    Error in object.size(new("Foo")) : object.size: unknown type 22
    R> R.version.string
    [1] "R version 2.1.1, 2005-06-20"

    R-2.1.1/src/include/Rinternals.h
    #define EXTPTRSXP 22 /* external pointer */

    R-2.1.1/src/main/size.c:
    objectsize(SEXP s) has no case for external pointers

    University of Oxford, Tel: +44 1865 272861 (self)
    1 South Parks Road, +44 1865 272866 (PA)
    Oxford OX1 3TG, UK Fax: +44 1865 272595

groupr-devel @
categoriesr
postedAug 4, '05 at 5:29a