Grokbase Groups R r-devel May 2004
Hi all,

I was wondering if I might subscribe this list to gmane.org, so I (and
everyone else) might view and search in with a newsreader?

Also--is there any way to get it indexed by google, maybe along with the
r-help list (or is it already but I haven't found it)?

Thanks for your consideration

  • Peter Dalgaard at May 10, 2004 at 8:43 pm

    Webb Sprague writes:

    Hi all,

    I was wondering if I might subscribe this list to gmane.org, so I (and
    everyone else) might view and search in with a newsreader?
    This has already happened with R-help (aka gmane.comp.lang.r.general),
    without anyone asking (or getting...) permission, and seemingly with
    no ill effects. So I suggest that you wait a short while and go ahead
    if nobody yells out.
    Also--is there any way to get it indexed by google, maybe along with
    the r-help list (or is it already but I haven't found it)?
    Try googling for "r-devel HOMEDRIVE". And have a look at

    http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/about.html

    --
    O__ ---- Peter Dalgaard Blegdamsvej 3
    c/ /'_ --- Dept. of Biostatistics 2200 Cph. N

    "PD" == Peter Dalgaard <p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk>
    on 10 May 2004 20:43:32 +0200 writes:
    PD> Webb Sprague <wwsprague@ucdavis.edu> writes:
    Hi all,

    I was wondering if I might subscribe this list to
    gmane.org, so I (and everyone else) might view and search
    in with a newsreader?
    PD> This has already happened with R-help (aka
    PD> gmane.comp.lang.r.general), without anyone asking (or
    PD> getting...) permission,

    not quite: I (as list maintainer) *had* been asked before it
    happened -- and I had mentioned it as RFC to the R core mailing list.

    PD> and seemingly with no ill effects. So I suggest that you
    PD> wait a short while and go ahead if nobody yells out.

    yes. As I had told the person who initiated the R-help -> Gmane
    I think I'd very much want the mailing list -> News gateway to
    be "ONE WAY" only {and this is an option with gmane}.
    Because mail filtering has become quite a delicate (and somewhat
    complex) procedure to maintain, I'd rather not have to deal with
    mail coming from a news gateway as well, where mail headers may
    (or may not) have been pre-processed by the forwarding software.

    Yes, please feel free to go ahead!
    Martin Maechler
  • Wwsprague at May 11, 2004 at 6:05 pm

    Martin Maechler wrote:
    "PD" == Peter Dalgaard <p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk>
    on 10 May 2004 20:43:32 +0200 writes:

    PD> Webb Sprague <wwsprague@ucdavis.edu> writes:
    Well, here we are on gmane. If anybody wants the settings altered,
    please email me directly unless it is easiest to do it yourself. Though
    only a developer-voyeur (now), I am happy to take responsibility for the
    gmane experiment.

  • Bob Cain at May 10, 2004 at 9:27 pm

    Webb Sprague wrote:

    Hi all,

    I was wondering if I might subscribe this list to gmane.org, so I (and
    everyone else) might view and search in with a newsreader?

    Also--is there any way to get it indexed by google, maybe along with the
    r-help list (or is it already but I haven't found it)?
    I'd appreciate it for all R groups. I considered doing it
    myself but when it was suggested that I should get people's
    permission I sorta let it go not having the time for any
    possibly lengthy dialogs.

    I also like it that when going via newsreader, responses go
    to to the group rather than the respondee. That behavior on
    a list nearly always trips me up, it is so uncommon.

    Bob

    simpler."

    A. Einstein
  • Duncan Murdoch at May 10, 2004 at 9:35 pm

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 10:33:08 -0700, Webb Sprague wrote :

    Hi all,

    I was wondering if I might subscribe this list to gmane.org, so I (and
    everyone else) might view and search in with a newsreader?
    The r-help mirroring doesn't seem to have caused any trouble, but you
    should ask the list maintainer: it might be worse than I know.
    Also--is there any way to get it indexed by google, maybe along with the
    r-help list (or is it already but I haven't found it)?
    It is, sort of, in the indexing of the archives. If you want to
    search for something and only see the archives you could use something
    like

    site:tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au History

    You'll pick up some other stuff too, but mostly you'll see archived
    messages.

    Duncan Murdoch
  • Gabor Grothendieck at May 11, 2004 at 12:57 pm
    For me, the main advantage of gmane would be able to post
    from it. If I post from myway the message does not get
    threaded properly but if I post from gmane (using the http
    interface since I am not always on the same computer) it
    works properly.

    Thus I would greatly prefer two way.

    Note that r-help is currently two way and it seems to
    work fine.

    (By the way, the gmane http interface has one very annoying
    misfeature. If you attempt to post an R console display where lines
    begin with > it complains about top posting and refuses to
    send your post.)

    ---
    Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 09:03:14 +0200
    From: Martin Maechler <maechler@stat.math.ethz.ch>
    To: Peter Dalgaard <p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk>
    Cc: Webb Sprague <wwsprague@ucdavis.edu>, <r-devel@stat.math.ethz.ch>
    Subject: Re: [Rd] Gmane for list?

    "PD" == Peter Dalgaard <p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk>
    on 10 May 2004 20:43:32 +0200 writes:
    PD> Webb Sprague <wwsprague@ucdavis.edu> writes:
    Hi all,

    I was wondering if I might subscribe this list to
    gmane.org, so I (and everyone else) might view and search
    in with a newsreader?
    PD> This has already happened with R-help (aka
    PD> gmane.comp.lang.r.general), without anyone asking (or
    PD> getting...) permission,

    not quite: I (as list maintainer) *had* been asked before it
    happened -- and I had mentioned it as RFC to the R core mailing list.

    PD> and seemingly with no ill effects. So I suggest that you
    PD> wait a short while and go ahead if nobody yells out.

    yes. As I had told the person who initiated the R-help -> Gmane
    I think I'd very much want the mailing list -> News gateway to
    be "ONE WAY" only {and this is an option with gmane}.
    Because mail filtering has become quite a delicate (and somewhat
    complex) procedure to maintain, I'd rather not have to deal with
    mail coming from a news gateway as well, where mail headers may
    (or may not) have been pre-processed by the forwarding software.

    Yes, please feel free to go ahead!
    Martin Maechler
  • Bob Cain at May 11, 2004 at 5:27 pm

    Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
    For me, the main advantage of gmane would be able to post
    from it. If I post from myway the message does not get
    threaded properly but if I post from gmane (using the http
    interface since I am not always on the same computer) it
    works properly.

    Thus I would greatly prefer two way.
    Yes, me too. Browse-only pretty much kills the utility of it.

    Bob

    simpler."

    A. Einstein

groupr-devel @